Horn Problems

Horn Problems

Super8mm

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5, 4 cyl, Borg Warner/Ford SR-4 4 spd, Dana 300 transfer case.
Start a heart transplant mid November with LS1 and SM465 :-)
I am trying to get my 80 CJ5 ready for a state inspection and I am having a bit of a problem with my horn.

The horn works as I used a jumper from the battery and it ground are OK.

Next I cant find a spot in the fuse box for a fuse there so I am not sure if there is one or maybe it is on the same fuse as something else.

Then I took the horn button off the steering wheel and it is a bit of a mess. It looks like the red circle in the picture gets pushed down to make contact with the part under it? Based on how much rust is in there do I just take out the 3 screws and the nut and lift that part out and clean the rust off?

any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

HornRingReva-L.jpg

I am trying to get my 80 CJ5 ready for a state inspection and I am having a bit of a problem with my horn.

The horn works as I used a jumper from the battery and it ground are OK.

Next I cant find a spot in the fuse box for a fuse there so I am not sure if there is one or maybe it is on the same fuse as something else.

Then I took the horn button off the steering wheel and it is a bit of a mess. It looks like the red circle in the picture gets pushed down to make contact with the part under it? Based on how much rust is in there do I just take out the 3 screws and the nut and lift that part out and clean the rust off?

any input would be appreciated

Thanks

HornRingReva-L.jpg

Is your turn signal cam in place and in good shape?

I solved the issue buy put'n a push-button switch on the dash.
LG

Is your turn signal cam in place and in good shape?

Yes the turn signals work and shut off when turning the wheel back like it should.

I solved the issue buy put'n a push-button switch on the dash.
LG

That may have to be a short term fix to pass inspection if I can get to work "LOL"

Yes the turn signals work and shut off when turning the wheel back like it should.

Reason I ask is I went through the same thing with mine. My cam and pin were gone, so I had to essentially rebuild the thing

Cleaning it up couldn't hurt...

I'd verify that the cam pin is present and making good contact against the ring on the base of the wheel...there's supposed to be a spring under the pin

Might pull the cam and make sure the bottom pin is making contact, too

Reason I ask is I went through the same thing with mine. My cam and pin were gone, so I had to essentially rebuild the thing

Cleaning it up couldn't hurt...

I'd verify that the cam pin is present and making good contact against the ring on the base of the wheel...there's supposed to be a spring under the pin

Might pull the cam and make sure the bottom pin is making contact, too

Thanks j6824, I will take it down and warm up the dremel :driving:

Got it fixed, took it apart and used a dremel with a brass brush and cleaned all the rust off, but it back together and it works just fine, ask my neighbors :D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks