Steering Help Tracking Down Death Wobble

Steering Help Tracking Down Death Wobble

JMark

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ-7, 258, Sniper EFI, AX15, Dana 300 HD Outputs Twin Stick 4:1, York OBA, D60, D44 Locked F&R
Looking for some insight on death wobble: 35 Goodyear mtrs, front Dana 44. YJ OME springs. MORE shackles, Moog Ball Joints, Omix TREs and their HD steering setup.

If I hit a big bump just right at super low speed while turning right such as an intersection she goes into death wobble. Dropping down to 1-2 mph stops it. Also happened at 20-25mph when hitting a pothole on the pass side. Thoughts?

Steering box, pitman arm, Tie rod ends, ball joints, springs and all bushings were swapped about 14 months ago (6500 miles ish) Alignment was set by a shop then and i'm also running a 4 degree caster wedge. Jeep drives great other than this issue.

Have you jacked up the front and checked for any play (up/down and side to side) at the wheels ? At 14 months I wouldnt think ball joints failing, maybe wheel bearings loose/failing?

^^ This.

Does sound like you have something loose. They normally don’t wobble unless there’s something worn or loose. As new as your parts are, shouldn’t be worn yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much angle on your drag link?

-8uWR8xtkg-cWwvTQMVCq7SLw=w1263-h947-no?authuser=0.jpg
GZpy8IqqTkmTVuVW9y4jFOc8WABRJIEOFIjCE1NGZqpFf6HYAKn3hrSWXf6wDmcs0GiT1bCJsn5vs-10OTESGOWANeGiRCtQVn4d35aL_5sTvO7m1gj9Rt_mzg5FRkfSXExVqzLjvACGAHFHxV4ahsOzlCXYKt8G1oqustA_wbcHayLYy2T_JKC1PMvZDXWOSP0CY62Bkma46ZcE9S1z_vJ1JZCFZ2l5pzD21uZuMXVFTtM5hsDOV1aUoV6o8oXlnulTFcGpccXAxVQlFY3wk_K0Ki-FZ0kDwzmePqoxt0LNUA0RXV6ZwSCsd1vamaZd_7ohBXO1T9cysy9mvB30HLYTc41QkyMe44dttcHvAMFv7oJwF7PzjQc2HawIuCwEwzPqafpv1Bg-zBdY7Tpz6jOMXm4_3x-WZ53c9tcaqfl-7NQl4P7EN47cfn43xAe5SXNbIQoE5FgPe2hgOYeUwy5yfe42-x7gLbnilaWeFzNSTMrRuCBiC6psq7wI0GXXxjHGcOaYbk1kq3gLTn1H7i8WPSOexxhYwo9-xTg6W0G5wLfl6HbewCPBCVt-B2HmSosgyauioB6VkVpzU6uMQ0boEZZoO0KcS_6T38lTyofCXCvJoBTn29TxAlifF0L01THn3FCDJYYwFdciQbWuUaTsuh5VOqSIeggBZoVT8ZI5ipbDVF7L3nMmIC1tnOA=w711-h947-no

v_jf3NEuK3BZCQHI8M8y08a0Q=w1263-h947-no?authuser=0.jpg

Did you have the problem before you replaced the front end parts?

I looked at the first beneath pic and almost choked at the drag link angle...... then realized it was a brace LOL. Kinda wondered where it was going....

I have a spring under Dana 44 and get death wobble with my 35" Bias ply Swampers. Issue gets better as my tires warm up. I do not have the issue with my 33" radials. Running around 6° caster and 1° camber.
Hope this helps. Kurt

Did you get a printout at the alignment shop?

If so, post it up...that's probably the place to start.

Your spring bushings look good...

After you get that printout from the alignment shop and if the numbers look good, I'd have someone move the steering wheel back and forth to see if you get any movement anywhere up front.

Also...what hole said.

Had a friend look at the front end while i turned the wheels back and forth, shackle bushings appear to be moving. Would that be a reasonable place to start? Ordered new ones.

Had a friend look at the front end while i turned the wheels back and forth, shackle bushings appear to be moving. Would that be a reasonable place to start? Ordered new ones.
Shackles are the first and most direct link. If they show any movement it is most likely your problem.

Death wobble found and (Hopefully) fixed.
Swung by my buddie's shop to get a further look. broke out ye old 8' pry bar and gave everything a good check. We found the following:

1. Driver's side spring mount bolt loose; replaced it with a fresh nyloc nut and torqued to spec.
2. Drag link backed off due to vibration BIG time. Green loctite (wicking) applied to the threads and jam nuts re-tightened.
3. Alignment set (toe)
e9Xxjw2j0f8QHKOGEpBjmV4ZYw=w712-h948-no?authuser=0.jpg

We then put a few miles on the jeep including tossing a 2x4 under the pass side front wheel and hitting it at varying speeds, death wobble seems to be gone and the steering is far less vauge and imprecise.

Nicely done. Congrats.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks