Misc. Help Identifying Some Things On My New CJ

Misc. Help Identifying Some Things On My New CJ

StediRoc

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ5, 304 V8
Hello All,
New member here — first post. I’ve seen a lot of VIN# and paint/trim decoder threads but all of the links I’ve found are either dead ends or they don’t seem to have the codes on my CJ tag. The PO didn’t know what he had and listed it as a ‘75 CJ5. I could tell from the pics he posted that it was a ‘78 or newer. After he delivered it the other day, it turns out it’s an ‘81 H code (304 V8). But some of the other options listed on the tag don’t add up to what I’m seeing on the Jeep. I’m not sure what has been swapped out and replaced over the years— the Jeep is kinda rough. Definitely a project. The VIN# has an M for the tranny code, which would indicate a 4 speed but the tranny is a 3 speed (reverse is straight up from first). It does have the 304 in it. The interior is rough. Original dash panel is missing and has been replaced with a piece of wood, lol. All I can really tell you about the interior is that it has high back buckets and the seats and seat belts are black in color. Not sure if they are original CJ seats or not. All the pics I’ve seen in interior trim decoder pages have the embossed ribs/lines going horizontal — mine are vertical on the front buckets but horizontal on the back seat. As far as any other options I can see it has the solid panel back — no tailgate —and tilt steering column. I’ve got the VIN# decoded but not the paint and trim codes for sure. From what I’ve found the P1 = black paint but the Jeep is currently a dark red/maroon with evidence of a royal blue color underneath the currently flaking maroon paint. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I start to dig into this project! Here is the content of the firewall build tag:

Jeep Corp
Toledo, Ohio U.S.A.
0261586 85
13 P1 1BA
1JCHM85E1BT079978

Last edited:
Thanks in advance for any help y’all can provide. I’m not a Jeep newbie but I clearly don’t know as much about them as many of y’all in this forum. These are the Jeeps I have owned so far:
1983 CJ7 258, 4 speed
1989 Cherokee XJ 2 door, 4.0, 5 speed
1994 YJ Wrangler 4.0, 5 speed
1995 YJ Wrangler 2.5, 5 speed
1998 TJ Wrangler 4.0, 5 speed
1981 CJ5 304, 3 speed

Thanks in advance for any help y’all can provide. I’m not a Jeep newbie but I clearly don’t know as much about them as many of y’all in this forum. These are the Jeeps I have owned so far:
1983 CJ7 258, 4 speed
1989 Cherokee XJ 2 door, 4.0, 5 speed
1994 YJ Wrangler 4.0, 5 speed
1995 YJ Wrangler 2.5, 5 speed
1998 TJ Wrangler 4.0, 5 speed
1981 CJ5 304, 3 speed
You profile says 81. I only have a few seconds to start out. Try this.

Attachments

• VIN Decoder Jeep-CJ.com.pdf
    355.6 KB · Views: 34
You profile says 81. I only have a few seconds to start out. Try this.
Thanks! Yes, it is an ‘81. The PO listed it for sale as a 1975 and the. Said he was t Sue but it was sometime in the ‘70s. Once I got to see it in person it turns out it’s an ‘81. I already have the VIN decoded. The main thing that doesn’t make sense is the VIN says it’s an M code — 4 speed. So I was expecting it would be a Tremec 176 but it turns out that it now has a three speed in it. Not sure what model 3 speed it is— reverse is straight up from 1st gear. What I was really curious about was the interior and paint codes and if my seats were originals or not and what tranny may have been swapped in over the years.
Thanks again,
Mike

*then said he wasn’t sure b
Thanks! Yes, it is an ‘81. The PO listed it for sale as a 1975 and the. Said he was t Sue but it was sometime in the ‘70s. Once I got to see it in person it turns out it’s an ‘81. I already have the VIN decoded. The main thing that doesn’t make sense is the VIN says it’s an M code — 4 speed. So I was expecting it would be a Tremec 176 but it turns out that it now has a three speed in it. Not sure what model 3 speed it is— reverse is straight up from 1st gear. What I was really curious about was the interior and paint codes and if my seats were originals or not and what tranny may have been swapped in over the years.
Thanks again,
Mike
Still busy but di you see this thread

-->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/manual-cj-transmissions.43554/

No! I hadn’t seen this thread! Thanks! I’ll see if I can identify my 3 speed using this info.

Trim code 1BA = Bucket seats, Black, Linen vinyl.

In my opinion, no they are not original.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks