Help ID my transmission..??

Help ID my transmission..??

elevenbravo

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7 (mostly stock)
4.2 - 258
automatic (was conversion and IDK what trans it is yet)
I bought this rig with a converted auto transmission. I don't know much about auto trannys and I don't know what I got. It is a 3 speed and it appears to mount directly to my 258 w/o adaptation. The only marking I can find/see is "002". the pan is help up with 14 bolts.:confused:

I have no problems with it, in fact I rather enjoy the auto this time around, mostly used for round town drivin...

Attachments

• DSCN0224.jpg
    DSCN0224.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCN0225.jpg
    DSCN0225.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN0228.jpg
    DSCN0228.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 844
  • DSCN0227.jpg
    DSCN0227.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 431
I am of absolutely zero help with automatic transmissions, just wanted to welcome you to the site :ww:

I'm positive someone here will be able to help ID your auto tranny.

Thanks, I have been browsing here for a
while. Finally got a log in.. I plan on tarring my rig down so I am sure I will be on a lot! this is a great site.

I'm even less experienced at transmissions... but always great to see an Eleven Boo.
RLTW/ATW

Hello

A picture from the bottom showing the pan would help the ID.

It's a Torque-Flight, most likely a TF999. The TF999 and TF727 share the same pan.

Argg. I keep forgetting that the 727 and 999 have different pans.

Thanks for all of the responses:notworthy:. I now believe it is a TF727. It was definitely not the original trans because I bought it with the clutch pedal still screwed down to the firewall:confused:......I am thinking the factory trans was a t-5.. it came with 2.73 gears in the diffs.... this brings my next question:

It tops out at about 65MPH and doesn't really want to push any more. It is a sloth on the take off. If I lower my gearing to say about (4.11's) would it be possible to still achieve 65MPH or possibly have more power to go faster on the highway? or will it just bring some low end torque and slow me down on the street top end? I'm running 33's (and like them).

I feel like my high gear ratio and 3 speed auto trans are a bad combo...(I want to keep it auto)...

any MORE pointers out there????

The 80s and that crappy 2.73 ratio. Definately a low point for Jeeps along with some weak transmissions. I didnt see what size tire your running but you can play around with different ratios using the calculator below. Just plug in different ratios till you get the rpms at 65 mph between 2200 and 2500.

Gear Ratio Calculator

Thanks for all of the responses:notworthy:. I now believe it is a TF727. It was definitely not the original trans because I bought it with the clutch pedal still screwed down to the firewall:confused:......I am thinking the factory trans was a t-5.. it came with 2.73 gears in the diffs.... this brings my next question:

It tops out at about 65MPH and doesn't really want to push any more. It is a sloth on the take off. If I lower my gearing to say about (4.11's) would it be possible to still achieve 65MPH or possibly have more power to go faster on the highway? or will it just bring some low end torque and slow me down on the street top end? I'm running 33's (and like them).

I feel like my high gear ratio and 3 speed auto trans are a bad combo...(I want to keep it auto)...

any MORE pointers out there????

Thanks pete!That chart was just what I needed. I think a 3.73 will be where I need to be...

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks