Help!!!!!!!!!!!! 2003 TJ

Help!!!!!!!!!!!! 2003 TJ

jeffmc

Jeeper
Thanks
My sons 2003 tj has a front end wobble and I mean its bad!!!!. Its ok up to about 45 or 50 then the front end gose CRAZY!!!!. I almost wreaked ,it was that bad . We been thru the front end several times,changed tires,Had the tires re balanced. The tires are 33s .
Had it to the shop several times and they say there is nothing wrong with ball joints,tie rods,ect .
It dose have a 4 inch lift ,brought from rough country .
The only thing I see is that the steering box is leaking . Would a bad steering box cause this problem.

Help!!!!!!

Jeff

Last edited:
Re: HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! 2003 cj

2003 CJ?:confused: Last CJ was in 1986.

Most people forget about the trac bar. There is death wobble, aka tramp, that is caused by bad steering joints, bad alignment, or a combo. However, on these vehicles, the trac bar uses a ball joint at the frame mount. A badly worn joint here can cause a different type of wobble where the whole axle moves side to side rapidly. Best way to check is to have someone turn the steering wheel slowly back and forth while someone else watches. If the joint is worn, it will move side to side as the wheel is turned.

track bar or ball joints, pry w/ a prybar between the lower knuckle and the axle joint...spec on that year is zero...no up and down play...also when lifting a tj you want to install an upgraded track bar/ adjustable one.....see this a lot here at the dealer.

How much lift is there? Last time I checked 33's won't fit a stock tj without a sawzall. Tj's were notorious wobblers, even with everything in good order a bad stabilizer will allow this too happen, with the added stress of a lift it is even worse. I've also seen 33x10.50 tires on stock wheels wich are too narrow causing a crown in the tread, aiding in the wobble.
I love my leaf jeep. Even I can't screw it up.

My sons 2003 tj has a front end wobble and I mean its bad!!!!. Its ok up to about 45 or 50 then the front end gose CRAZY!!!!. I almost wreaked ,it was that bad . We been thru the front end several times,changed tires,Had the tires re balanced. The tires are 33s .
Had it to the shop several times and they say there is nothing wrong with ball joints,tie rods,ect .
It dose have a 4 inch lift ,brought from rough country .
The only thing I see is that the steering box is leaking . Would a bad steering box cause this problem.

Help!!!!!!

Jeff
Hope this info helps you and your 2003TJ
Death Wobble and Axle Issues from Morris 4x4 Center

Chrysler/Jeep Issue Technical Service Bulletin For ?Death Wobble” | Morris 4×4 Center Blog

If anything feel free to give us a call 877 553 5337 for any technical questions

Where as you might get more specific info on a TJ forum, and I don't want to ruffle any feathers but a good one is here. Death wobble is DW. With a 4" lift you are pushing the limits of the original suspension geometry and everything needs to be in perfect condition. ie control arms and bushings, trac bar, ball joints, tre's, etc etc. Just about anything from the steering wheel forward. Even then it can come back real fast for a different reason. Unless you've gone adjustable long arms and adjusable trac bar IT WILL come back. I had a 2000 Cherokee with a 4" lift long arms and adj trac bar and there still was one set of railroad tracks by my house that if I hit at the wrong speed and angle I got death wobble:eek:.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks