sky578

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7
I-6
4 speed
The knob that says AIR: Off Heat Vent

1. It is sticking out of the dash and wont turn- it feels like the whole cable is trying to turn instead of the knob. Can you tell me what I need to buy to fix this?

Is this what I need? I have silver knobs instead of the black.

Fresh Air Control Cable 28" 5463657

2. I also feel like there is cold air blowing inside the jeep all the time- does this cable have anything to do with it?

3. What are these snaps on the back fenders for?

Thanks

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 477
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 399
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 491
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 345
Yes that is what you need and the snaps are for the factory soft top you have the new kind.

Thanks Mtnwhlr.

So- do I have to take this silver plating off to install this piece?

Also- if I am going to paint the jeep- should I just take the snaps off- or are they welded into the body? Cause that would be a read PITA if they are.

All you should have to do is unhook the cable at the heater box and pull it out. And for the snaps they should either be held on by screws or rivets. The rivets you will have to drill them out then you will need to weld all the holes close.

The knob that says AIR: Off Heat Vent

1. It is sticking out of the dash and wont turn-

Thanks

It doesn't turn it pushes in and pulls out. The reason you feel air is that when it's pulled out it opens the fresh air vent over on the passanger side of the jeep.

I forgot to add.....are all those wires under the dash necessary? It's a mess and it drives me crazy!

It looks like they are screwed in maybe...I'll wait to investigate that until I'm ready to paint. And that looks to be getting put off more and more, since when I try to fix one thing- I find 5 more things to be fixed also :rolleyes:

Yes, Old Dog- that is where it feels like it is coming from. But it doesn't do it all the time.

Have a look at this photo...lol. This might be one of my problems? It is some sort of hose that hooks to the black box- that I was tracing the cable to for my knobs. It is crumbling looking. I'm guessing I should replace this- but have no idea what it's called or is for.

The Fed Ex man just gives me a look everyday now, since he has to drive back my narrow winding 1/2 mile driveway up in the woods with his big truck....:D

Attachments

• Heater Hose.jpg
    Heater Hose.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 398
Thats your defrost "hose" although most cj's defrosters are usless.
LOL on the Fed Ex guy, I also live down a 1/2 mile gravel drive with plenty of holes for him to run through.:D

here's a pic of the fresh air vent. If the door is open you can shut it by pushing down where the cable connects.

Attachments

• IMG_2575_986x739.jpg
    IMG_2575_986x739.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_2576_986x739.jpg
    IMG_2576_986x739.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 286
So should I replace the defrost hose?

I have seen that picture on my jeep and it's open. Fed ex came again today with my cable to install :D

Ordered it from Morris but it looks pretty cheapo?

Sky578, I don't know how far you want take your project, but now is the time to get your dash in order, especially if you are going to be painting.

Pull the wheel and the dash and you will have full access to everything back there. You can repaint the dash while it's out too.

Take the time to replace your dash bulbs, even if they aren't burnt for 50 cents a piece.

Replace the lighted dash indicator lamps for $30

Indicator Lamps Kit For Dashboard 5752813K

A couple buckets of warm water with a light general cleanser and a cloth will remove 28 years of dust and grime.

Clean up the wiring, make any repairs to butt connectors, retape everything, zip tie it all into nice clusters. Also a great time to put a new head unit in and rewire your speakers, etc.

Just take your time, mark and label all the wires, and take notes or use a voice recorder as you go along and it will all go back together nicely...

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/cj7-restoration-progress-advice-please-2920/index15.html

Bullseye,

You volunteering to come help me with that project? Cause there's no way I can do that alone. Well, and get it back like it's supposed to be anyway.:D

If you get those crown replacement lights be prepared for frustration... I only needed one to replace in my '81 and the replacement glows blue. Every other light on the dash is green but for some reason crown decided to go with blue.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks