Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7 304 V8
2011 Silverado 4x4
2004.5 Dodge Cummins Diesel
1997 Porsche Boxster
Harmonic Balancer torque, carb linkage picture

Putting a 1980 CJ7 back together 304 v8, engine has been sitting some time and rust had developed on end of crank where balancer bolts on. Cleaned it off as good as I can. I cam see that the balancer is not going completely on the crank as belts to not line up. What is the torque spec, and how much can I torque it before it causes a problem?

Also need picture of carb linkage as mine is non existant...Thanks.

Attachments

• linkage pic.jpg
    linkage pic.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 841
Last edited:
Re: Harmonic Balancer torque, carb linkage picture

Putting a 1980 CJ7 back together 304 v8, engine has been sitting some time and rust had developed on end of crank where balancer bolts on. Cleaned it off as good as I can. I cam see that the balancer is not going completely on the crank as belts to not line up. What is the torque spec, and how much can I torque it before it causes a problem?

Also need picture of carb linkage as mine is non existant...Thanks.

53-58 ftlbs for the 304. Try to get thet crank pulley on as far as you can before you attempt to use the bolt to seat it any further. I just reassembled my 401 and it's scary if you dont have the bolt threaded in very far. It helps if you grease the pulley where it moves onto the end of the crank. Try to avoid pounding on the end of the crank pulley...

I had to build a throttle cable retainer (the part with the square hole to hold the throttle cable) but my settup is (was) pretty much just like yours. I bolted it down to the manifold where you have the two stud bosses pictured just behind your carburetor. If I can get some pictures later on today I will try and post them.

They make a special tool to install harmonic balancers. You can probably rent one. They are supposed to fit tight.

look in the "what did you do to your cj today" thread. someone posted a good pic of thier Locar throttle cable install, and its pretty much the same as stock. Just fancier looking. I am installing the same thing on mine.

Harmonic Balancer reduces the vibration of the crankshaft. It is made up of 2 pieces of steel separated by a rubber mount. On a diesel engine a failed Harmonic Balancer can cause the crankshaft to break...(ask me how I know), on a gas engine it can cause excessive stress on the crankshaft if it is failing. If the rubber is cracked or has pieces missing is should be replaced.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks