Hard top colors

Hard top colors

craveman85

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj8, gm 151, sr4, Dana 300, Dana 30, amc 20, 3.73s
Anyone know what hard top colors were available in 1981 for a white scrambler? Trying to restore mine but can't figure out what the original top was. No build sheet. I do have the 6ba interior code though which is a very light brown.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

"typically" the top matched the interior. If you have the honey colored interior the top was pretty close to the same color.

This isn't a hard fast rule, just from what most of us have seen. Even the build sheets didn't have the color of the top, just that it had a hard top.

I've only ever seen a black or brown colored factory CJ8 hard top if that helps at all.

Was there more than one color of Brown? I've got a very very light brown. It's almost a sand color. Actually very close to the almond beige paint I think almond actually is the color but don't know if it ever came in a top like that or they just defaulted to the dark brown/nutmeg.

6ba as a trim code for a 1981 CJ is a Beige High Back Bucket Seats made of Vinyl Denim. Your Top was probably the Brown color although that is not 100%. Do you have the original top? If so what color is it, and can you tell if it has been repainted? Here is a picture of a CJ7 with the brown / tan top.

IMG_1231_zpsa5b69236.jpg

PS: ;) Trim Code Documents is located in the "DOCs" segment of this forum. Link is at the top in brown.

Top is Omaha orange implement paint... I didn't do it

I thought 6ba was low back beige linen vinyl which is what's in it

My '85 came with a black HT.
LG

What interior color though? I don't think it would go well with beige

Sorry :eek:
Dark blue with black carpet.
LG

I suppose if there's no coding for the top color I'll just go with the dark brown. I'm not a fan of white cj s with white tops.

You may well want a light color for when the summer sun is 'pounding' down on you.
LG

I suppose if there's no coding for the top color I'll just go with the dark brown. I'm not a fan of white cj s with white tops.

Like Dain stated the white top looks great on a blue Scrambler. If it was mine and assuming it's white I'd try and find the closest to Nutmeg as I could get. That's the interior color for 81. Later years used Honey. I've heard hard tops be called both colors but can't confirm absolute color

I thought 6ba was low back beige linen vinyl which is what's in it.

Decoding the trim number and letters is not an exact science. The "b" code for type of seat was not use in '81 according to the trim document. The "b" code however was used in other years for a high back seat. The 6 is defiantly the color "beige" and the "a" is for vinyl denim. In 1981 the seat codes were: C, E, and F. In 1984 the Codes were B and F where "B" is the high back bucket. These codes only apply to 1981 through 1986, however you can reasonably apply them to other years.

PS: Nutmeg was a "5" and Honey was a "9" in 1981 codes. Also here is another thread related to top colors: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f7/help-me-decide-what-color-22521/

Like Dain stated the white top looks great on a blue Scrambler. If it was mine and assuming it's white I'd try and find the closest to Nutmeg as I could get. That's the interior color for 81. Later years used Honey. I've heard hard tops be called both colors but can't confirm absolute color

I concur. With the nutmeg interior, the light brown top is attractive. Especially with the tan and yellow graphics package.

I have black interior and a black half cab on mine. Not original, but I have a glass body and nothing on my Jeep came with it except maybe the tranny and t-case. Maybe.

It is an 81 though, verified through the vin and has the codes 01 9b 6ba on it. Couldn't have had high back seats. It doesn't have the seatbelts for it, the holes in the hardtop or the bungs in the roll bar. Everything physically on my jeep is original. It's just the 3 coats of bright orange paint that aren't.

If you still have the original top and someone has changed the color you should be able to see what it was when you sand it down.

That's a good theory but I sanded it down about 3 years ago. Kinda shoot now ask questions later kinda deal.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks