Build Thread Geronimo Jeep

Build Thread Geronimo Jeep

codyjim509

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ7, 4.0, AX15, D300,D30,AMC20
Ok-this is my first forum post so bear with me. I am going to attempt to chronicle this build for at least my own sanity and to keep myself accountable for some sort of reasonable timeline!
So-starting off with the good:

Jeep has a 4.0 fuel injected Wrangler engine from the PO
Rebuilt AX 15 transmission
Twin stick Dana 300
One piece rear axles
4"(?) Pro Comp (?) suspension lift
Newish Gereral Grabber AT2's -33 x12.5 on decent aluminum rims
Tuffy lockable console and rear underseat storage
Body and frame seem to be pretty decent

The BAD:

Wiring rats nest under the dash and under the hood
Rear shackles that are mismatched, damaged and are supporting the jeep with 5/16" bolts
Steering box that is only marginally connected to the frame
Both hard doors are severely rusted
Front lift shackles are good quality, but are probably not correct

I will most likely find a bunch more bad, and not mentioned above is the worst of ALL.....I HAVE NO GARAGE!!!!!!

but with my two highly motivated mechanics assistants we will prevail!

thanks

Jim

:ww: to the build forum! Sounds like you have a nice project started. Be sure to start posting some pictures!

Your drive train combination sounds like it all came from a YJ. My son in law's Jeep is a YJ. I've been driving it a lot lately. Depending on what you want to do with your Jeep and how you will be driving it some gear changes may be in order. The transmission you have is a 1:1 ratio in 4th gear. 5th is an overdrive, so lowering the gearing goes well with this combo. The AMC20 needs one piece axles at some point. Also you talked about the wiring. I rebuilt my harness. The best diagram for this is from here: Prospero's Garage I have one and it was worth every penny. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :chug:

Glad you have a build started..... And where are the pics? Some of us can't read and have to have pics..... LOL

:ww: :dbanana:

Enjoy the 'Jeep sickness'. There's no cure.:D
BTW: Kiss your savings account bu-buy........:laugh:

LG

Parts came in on schedule! New front spring bushings, rear greaseable shackles a steering box brace and a few other things. New bolts to attach the steering box and a hole saw to access the area of the frame they go in should complete the required components. I have attached pictures for the illiterate among us......

:drool:

Very nice. I like the Black and Tan........ makes me want a beer for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicely done. :chug:
Those springs will settle a bit.
LG

Got the steering box mount tightened yesterday with new grade 8 hardware. Put a steering box brace on for good measure.
Around to the back and replaced the rear shackles...that was downright scary. Passenger side shackle was OEM but with the pins removed and replaced with 3/8" bolts-the head of the bolt was nearly through....(again pictures for the illiterate).
:eek: The bushing on that side was made from delrin....a hard engineering plastic that has no give and the holes were worn oval. Got the new shackles on and took it for a quick test drive. Much better!
Also discovered that the rear bumper is not well attached on the driver side and that the master cylinder is more or less empty.
Still have the front bushings to do, but its driveable from a steering standpoint anyway.
Thanks!

Kinda makes ya wanna go thru the whole thing bolt by bolt, huh? Makes you wonder what goes thru people's heads when they do stuff like that. Some of it is just down right scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some PO's should NOT be allowed to own a wrench.........:rolleyes:
I would also be ck'n ALL the oil/fluid levels BEFORE you drive it.
LG

Nuther double tap

I KNOW! Someone did a lot of stuff right, but....then left emergency repairs or who knows what passing on a potential death trap. I can't really blame the kid who owned it-not a mechanic and he put close to $5000 (not including the 5k he paid for it) into it before I got it but the previous owner passed it on to him like that.
Checked the master cylinder and that was nearly empty so I will dig into that tomorrow along with the front spring bushings.
Anyone have any experience with the 4.0 engine swap? I am going to have to dig further into that at some point to see what was done and I have zero experience with fuel injected engines or engine swaps.....
The apprentices are ready to go 4 wheeling!!!!

Thanks for the comments!

So, I took a mental health day yesterday and replaced the front bushings and bled the brakes-much better on both of these! I did notice and had some real trouble with the driver side front shackle...it has probably a 5 degree lean to it....the shackle mount looks straight and the rear spring mount looks good-leaves me wondering if the axle is a little tweaked or the leaf spring twisted? Any ideas?
Flushed the coolant and realized the overflow tank is just not set up right there. The hose has been chiseled to fit into the tank, but there is no way for the tank to empty......again, I have never really worked on a vehicle newer than 1980 so I will have to learn how the overflow tank is supposed to work.
With a little quality time under the vehicle found some rust on the driver rear frame horn, but nothing to significant.
The tailpipe will need to be rerouted too, but I am going to have to drop the fuel tank and see what they did with the fuel pump, because there is a fuel filter where it should be exiting the rear of the vehicle.
Took my son to kung - fu in it last night so progress is being made!!!!

thanks

WOW! :eek: That's no way for a Jeep to be! :oops:

geronimo-jeep_zpspxpnvoww.jpg

Let's try this:

geronimo-jeep-right-side-up_zpslgnktjnr.jpg

:chug:

The shackle deal is because the spring pads on the axle are a bit wider spaced that the frame is. Common issue.........
When you have the time, support the front end buy the frame and with the front wheels not touching the ground. Loosen all 8 spring U-bolts just till loose. Using a chain and turnbuckle around the bottom of the front shackles. Tighten the TB to 'draw' the bottom of the shackles inward. REtighten the U-bolt nuts to 55 ft/bs torque.
LG

Been a few days now, but the sad fact is I have not had much time....
Few new developments:
Front turn signals and parking lights mysteriously stopped working-
At least a partial culprit is the disintegrated socket for the light bulb in one of them-thank you Amazon.
High beam switch was unplugged and a melted/cracked and barely serviceable plug in connection is at least a contributing factor. New switch plugged into it makes them work, but a new pigtail connection is on the way. Thanks again Amazon.....
New brake components will round out the weekly expenditure, a trip to the shop for new exhaust and hopefully an inspection sticker next week....and hopefully a few excursions before we get burried in snow this winter!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom