General Camping Question?

General Camping Question?
wow who would of guessed that was so dangerous. I thought it was the same water that came out of my kitchen sink. We drink out of the hose all summer long.

If the hose in question is used regulary and you let it run to flush out anything that might be in it you'll probably be fine. I've drank out of hoses my whole life, never been an issue, but then Ca. has some pretty stringant water quality policies;)

I was working in the garage over the weekend, was too dirty to go inside. Simply walked around back, turned on the spigot and drank out of the hose... I'm still here! :)

I dont think the air can be so polluted when we camp that we need air sanitizer for that, although for water we may need it, but generally when I go to the great outdoors, boiling it is good enough to sanitize it.

Never thought that drinking from a hose can be that harmful, but ought to keep it in mind to prevent future sickness.

Living with three girls, I do like the air mattress and the port o pot when I go camping. It is just the youngest and I that go now.:D

Man the only people I ever heard dieing in the woods involved a guy with a hook on his hand:p What about the people that get attacked by bears and such:eek:

LMAO had to have a giggle at the way this topic started....

The only near deaths I am aware of is female friends who were close to self harm after realising that my generator wasnt going to power their hairdryer (that situation was averted after I started up the portable wineo cooler!)

Seriously - i think that its just become an industry - and for me personally the gadget girl in me gets carried away with all the 'stuff' you can get

(ie go in to get batteries or soemthing and come out with alll this other stuff)

I have had a few mates who I have managed to bribe, bully or otherwise drag out camping, who have gone to buy a tent, and come out with all this other stuff, including water purification stuff (even when camping in NZ at a place where the tap water is not only drinkable but as pure as any bottled!)

its just another variation on 'guy goes into appliance store for batteries and comes out with a cordless drill even though he already has one!" LOL
I personally could not live through a family camping experience without my trusty dusty chainsaw powered Margarita maker! Not for me! For the Wife! Because if she's not happy, Nobodies happy! :laugh:

I do alot of camping. Usually 3 or 4 huntin seasons a year and a dozen fishing trips. During the summer its basics (bedroll, grub, drinks and chainsaw.) But during those two or three elk hunts i get to go on every year the climate changes can be insane. Last years hunt in Oregon saw -6 one night with a 8 inches of snow and then 56 the next day with a ton of rain the day after that. Gotta have the wall tent and wood stove. Not to mention a ton of clothes for layering.

But during those two or three elk hunts i get to go on every year the climate changes can be insane. Last years hunt in Oregon saw -6 one night with a 8 inches of snow and then 56 the next day with a ton of rain the day after that. Gotta have the wall tent and wood stove. Not to mention a ton of clothes for layering.

Haha, I grew up in the area im sure you are talking about, the NE corner of Oregon? Ukiah or Mt. Emily area's im sure. I am now stationed out of Colorado Springs, a few times a year (when not in Iraq) my friend and I spend about 2 weeks backpacking in the mountains, we dont take much other than my trusty Mossberg 590 12g, a sleeping bag, a poncho, a canteen, and some 550 cord and some other small things (flashlight, knife, etc). We have gone as far as to just drink water from a flowing stream when boiling/iodine is not available, and im still here! We do most of this at 10,000ft to 14,000ft on average, the air is thin, but still extremely clean, maybe that air purifier is for people camping in DC or NY, who knows... people rely on medicines too much these days, our bodys are strong, let them build up, stay away from all these pills nowadays and most things wont even effect you anymore! Hell I have eaten the local food here in Iraq (fish-kabobs sitting in the sun all day) from the in town markets, it might taste bad, but its still food! Quit the paranoia, people get sick... it happens, so does life! Live it and enjoy it! (ps... i drink from the hose sometimes too :eek:)

Haha, I grew up in the area im sure you are talking about, the NE corner of Oregon? Ukiah or Mt. Emily area's im sure. I am now stationed out of Colorado Springs, a few times a year (when not in Iraq) my friend and I spend about 2 weeks backpacking in the mountains, we dont take much other than my trusty Mossberg 590 12g, a sleeping bag, a poncho, a canteen, and some 550 cord and some other small things (flashlight, knife, etc). We have gone as far as to just drink water from a flowing stream when boiling/iodine is not available, and im still here! We do most of this at 10,000ft to 14,000ft on average, the air is thin, but still extremely clean, maybe that air purifier is for people camping in DC or NY, who knows... people rely on medicines too much these days, our bodys are strong, let them build up, stay away from all these pills nowadays and most things wont even effect you anymore! Hell I have eaten the local food here in Iraq (fish-kabobs sitting in the sun all day) from the in town markets, it might taste bad, but its still food! Quit the paranoia, people get sick... it happens, so does life! Live it and enjoy it! (ps... i drink from the hose sometimes too :eek:)

I drank muddy water from a puddle once. I also found these little frogs in there, and was grubbin around for them and swallowing them whole I was so hungry. AND I grew up drinking from the garden hose as a kid. You're right Sean, your body is a tough little machine. If you care for it even a little, It will push through. People rely on pills and junk to make them feel better much of the time, when what they need is to quit boozing and eating pizza every night.

I drank muddy water from a puddle once. I also found these little frogs in there, and was grubbin around for them and swallowing them whole I was so hungry. AND I grew up drinking from the garden hose as a kid. You're right Sean, your body is a tough little machine. If you care for it even a little, It will push through. People rely on pills and junk to make them feel better much of the time, when what they need is to quit boozing and eating pizza every night.

First, EWWWW on the frog thing! Thats just... NO.

Second. People need booze. (Hello!!!) :) Susie theory :) The alcohol content helps to kill some of the nasty :dung: that you pick up, you know, germs, bugs, ugly guys...

Water sanitizer sure- but unless you're answering the call of nature not much sanitizing after that is required. With food- fire cleans it! I even bathe in rivers! I do like to make sure no bugs can get into a tent/camper though. Those mosquitoes and ticks can be a real pain.

I used to drink from the hose when I was a kid, but I tried it actually a few years ago after we moved into our house when I was doing some yard work. I think the plastic they use is different, it tasted pretty gross. I'll go inside and get a glass from the tap instead.

camping is the main reason I 4x4, We have 2 setups, one is the Jayco Baja popup trailer, we pull that behind the 08 rubicon. it is the luxuary wagon, when going out with the wife and family we do this and have everything from furnace to hotwater heater. When I go alone, I run a smal trailer that I pull behind one of my CJs, it carries enough supplies for me to be in backwoods luxury for 1, a tent, and whatever you can fit in a 6x4x2 box, which is quote a lot, I ufold and set up a set of shelves for my kitchen, a hamock and tent with 25 gallons of water and my easy up and table. Like I said luxury for 1 camper, but that will be my base camp for a week as I go out and explore either the desert of the mountains.

I don't recall worrying too much or even hearing about much contamination. But yes I agree, it's always best to be safe than sorry. The water sanitation is a given, but air quality? It's worse for you to actually breathe in the air from any populated city due to pollution. I would figure that being out where "nature" is would have the best air quality.

Second. People need booze. (Hello!!!) :) Susie theory :) The alcohol content helps to kill some of the nasty :dung: that you pick up, you know, germs, bugs, ugly guys...[/QUOTE]

Agree!!! :chug:
I don't think i could get a fire going without booze. :D

hey, I do not think I could set up camp with out booze
Nah, actually I do enjoy my libations around a good campfire, but the days of drinking till I dropped ended long ago, Now I just drink till I slide,:eek:

Lol i love this thread!
I cant say 30 years go i drank out of the water hose. but i can say that 8 years ago i drank out of the water hose and i was workin on my dads cj at the time.
However i do agree on water purification either by boiling or tablets. We are built to last indefinitely our bodys are amazing if you let them do there job. Suzie a lil alcohol helps every now and again.
One of the things i hate the most about being stationed in cali is that i have to go home to find somewhere good to camp(east Tn). however im goin home next month and i plan on drinking from the hose and will also have a cooler with a 12pack in my canoe while the whole family goes floatin down the river to our camp site complete with tents and tarps and a fire that we cook on. There is no better place to be then the great outdoors!

well CJ5 GUY, I am camping this weekend in Anza Borrego state park, taking in somebeautiful desert flower scenery, doing a trail or two and having a blast. SoCal does have some beautiful places to camp. I will have to take you to a few this summer in the mountains.
Drinking from water hoses will be optional.

well CJ5 GUY, I am camping this weekend in Anza Borrego state park, taking in somebeautiful desert flower scenery, doing a trail or two and having a blast. SoCal does have some beautiful places to camp. I will have to take you to a few this summer in the mountains.
Drinking from water hoses will be optional.

Sounds great to me only i wont be around much this summer. have to go to VA for a month for "Training" on things i already know about:(. Maybe next summer i will have the jeep up and running and we can get out some time!:chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom