Fuel sending unit

Fuel sending unit

Cjman

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83 CJ7 258,D300,T176, D30,AMC20
My fuel gauge stopped working and I’m reading full open on my meter between the post in the sending unit to the ground lead. This is a relatively new sending unit but before I drop the tank (again) I want to have another unit in hand. Omix and Crown seem to be the most common suppliers. What have you folks used with good success. Any other suppliers?

Additionally, once I drop the tank, I’ll cut an access hole in the bed and make a cover panel so I can get to the sending unit easier in the future.

I’ll provide those measurements of where I cut to anybody if interested.

Thanks
G

Also...if I climb into the Jeep or bump it in any way, I hear the sending unit tapping/bouncing freely. Not sure that has always been the case.

I found Specra Premium brand sending units. Looks good via the picture. Anyone tried this brand?

I have not, but I’m waiting somewhat patiently to see if you can scrounge up a few reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutting the hole in the bed can be done before dropping the tank to remove the sending unit. I have done it on my daughters build. Somewhere one this site is the measurements. If you can't find it let me know.

Ck the GND wire from the sending unit, to the frame.
Add a dedicated GND wire from your dash panel, directly to the battery.
Gary

I plan to do exactly that and add the dedicated ground to a ground bar I installed.

I also received the new sending unit. Appears pretty solid compared to the previous one I bought. I tested the resistance readings in both the full the empty positions. See pictures.

Attachments

• AB34DB21-F45E-4CC4-82F3-1982B271B62B.jpg
    AB34DB21-F45E-4CC4-82F3-1982B271B62B.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 17825DEF-48ED-4C78-8160-A59B088FA7D6.jpg
    17825DEF-48ED-4C78-8160-A59B088FA7D6.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 45
  • F911CCB8-5002-4AAC-8D15-2D692F435BDD.jpg
    F911CCB8-5002-4AAC-8D15-2D692F435BDD.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 040C1EA2-40B1-4DAC-AC72-DB949033BF7C.jpg
    040C1EA2-40B1-4DAC-AC72-DB949033BF7C.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 42
Brighter picture

Attachments

• 14687108-441B-44D8-95E4-E1B32165AE9C.jpg
    14687108-441B-44D8-95E4-E1B32165AE9C.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 55
‘86 helped me find some measurement for cutting my access hole. Thanks ‘86! So I cut the hole and found a piece of aluminum plate that was already the right size.

I needed to off center the plate so it rests on the ridges. There was also a support bracket on the lower edge and I didn’t want to cut into that. I’ll change out the sending unit another day. But with the access hole I was able to easily measure the ohm reading between the sending unit and ground. I read fully open.

G

Attachments

• E35BB22B-6C00-440B-BF8B-E77157EBE21F.jpg
    E35BB22B-6C00-440B-BF8B-E77157EBE21F.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 9FE3BB04-8627-47EA-A99A-E26CF5C4A506.jpg
    9FE3BB04-8627-47EA-A99A-E26CF5C4A506.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 58
  • D05AE106-BA41-4454-8396-FC8704345616.jpg
    D05AE106-BA41-4454-8396-FC8704345616.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 59
Resurrecting this thread and considering the access hole on the tub floor for the sending unit.

I am having to drop my fuel tank and replace the sending unit. They don’t last but two to three years. Does anyone know a good quality unit that will last? I have the plastic 20 gallon tank. Or is there someone who knows a trick to use an adaptation from a different application? Appreciate any help with this issue.

Resurrecting this thread and considering the access hole on the tub floor for the sending unit.

I am having to drop my fuel tank and replace the sending unit. They don’t last but two to three years. Does anyone know a good quality unit that will last? I have the plastic 20 gallon tank. Or is there someone who knows a trick to use an adaptation from a different application? Appreciate any help with this issue.
Referencing this post -->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/feedback-on-fuel-tank-replacement.67407/#post-568129
this sender looks good, will not be a bolt in though, -->> https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=346/category_id=184/mode=prod/prd346.htm

prd_346.jpg

prod_ssh_2135_835.jpg

Echoing prior comments about an access hole in the floor. What a much easier way to get in there rather than dropping the tank. Then a quick small cover plate and throw the Quadratec rubber mat back in the back, all good. When I converted to EFI, I modified the pickup tube/sending unit assembly to add an electric fuel pump in the tank. Using a Crown stock sending unit, I cut the tube going down to the sock filter at the right length to attach a Walbro electric pump with its own filter on the bottom end. I also had to drill a small hole in the top of the assembly to install a grommet and run the wires to power the pump. It was a tight fit to squeeze all that back into the tank opening, but it fit and works great. Got the idea from this another post on this site (couldn't relocate the post thought). No pump clamped to the frame rails underneath to be exposed to obstacles or debris, and less noise too.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 16
For the sake of sending unit longevity and repeated dropping of fuel tank, I am going to give the tanksinc unit a shot, and convert my bad unit into just a strainer and pickup tube. For my fuel injection, I used the GM external fuel pump/regulator/filter assembly. But I can see the benefits of the in tank pump. Thanks for replies.

Get the Tanks, Inc floatless sender and be done with it. I installed one several months ago after having 3 failures with the traditional senders...they would die on me after a month or two. Comes down to crappy materials wearing away on the tiny wires that change the resistance on the sender.

I have a 21ga poly tank from MTS with an in-tank electric pump from Holley for my EFI. Haven't had any issues since installing it. It was a pain in the butt to install, but it's nice not having to worry about it going out on me.

Get the Tanks, Inc floatless sender and be done with it. I installed one several months ago after having 3 failures with the traditional senders...they would die on me after a month or two. Comes down to crappy materials wearing away on the tiny wires that change the resistance on the sender.

I have a 21ga poly tank from MTS with an in-tank electric pump from Holley for my EFI. Haven't had any issues since installing it. It was a pain in the butt to install, but it's nice not having to worry about it going out on me.
Alright, we will try that when start working on uncle's new CJ project. The previous owner mentioned it needs a new sender unit. We'll confirm that when we take a closer look, need to finish first the installation of the fender and bumper from 4Wheelonline onto the truck this weekend.

I found Specra Premium brand sending units. Looks good via the picture. Anyone tried this brand?
I realize this post is older but I have a Spectra Premium unit in my tank now and it is Chinese junk, never work properly out of the box. Don't waste your money.
I am going to drop my tank again and install the Holley intank pump unit, during my upgrade to the Sniper EFI kit.

I am going to drop my tank again and install the Holley intank pump unit, during my upgrade to the Sniper EFI kit.

That's what I have in mine. It won't disappoint.

Make sure you use thread sealer on whatever fittings you install on it and let it sure for a couple days.

Ask me how I know...hahahaha.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

I guess third time will be the charm, gas gauge hasn't worked properly since I have owned the jeep. Most of time it just reads empty.

Cglax6, thanks for the tip. Are you using a return line? I don't plan on one since the intank has a internal pressure relief set 65 psi.

I have the same setup. Returnless pump in the tank. I've read a lot of folks having issues with the regulator on the Sniper...getting clogged from whatever coating they use on the outside.

Thanks, thats good to know. Most of the threads I've read all say a return is a must, but most are using external pumps or intank not Holley. I'm glad someone has real world experience with the Holley intank w/o a return.

Yeah man, 8000 miles since last fall without an issue.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks