Fuel filter install question

Fuel filter install question

Hedgehog

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-1975 Jeep CJ5, 360 V8, Headers, Duel Exhaust,T15 transmission, D-20 Transfer case, Twin Stick Conversion, Warn 8274 Winch
-1951 Willys Wagon, 4 cylinder, "F" head, little rust, very close to stock
The 360 is getting close to being finished. If I weren't cleaning up messes making a nice clean install as I go along I'd have it running by now. THe 360 is stock and I will not be getting rid of the emissions controls AND installing a DUI ignition. As most know those HEI distributors are big. Now here's my problem. There are a bunch of components in the vicinity of the stock fuel filter location ... Distributor, water temp sensor, more vacuum stuff than you can deal with, radiator hose, heater hose ........ and I'm sure many other things. Essentially space is at a premium.

The stock fuel filter is placed horizontally ... fuel inlet ... filter body .... outlet and smaller return outlet .... I would like to locate it down by the fuel pump in a vertical position. I know with most filters it really doesn't make a difference, but with the return line I'm not quite sure if the filter would work properly. The vertical position would solve several space issues. Any ideas? Should I just go for it?

Thanks
Michael

I can't speak for the V8, but on the I6 it makes a difference. The return line going into the vapor canister needs to be higher than the canister and positioned on top of the carb feed line. I plan on cutting the filter open to see why that is, as there has to be a better solution. Rod

I've been thinking the same thing. It would be nice to see what is inside the metal filters. My return line doesn't go to the canister, it returns back to the tank .... at least I'm fairly sure it returns to the tank. One of the things I'm installing is the long missing canister and the valves that live back by the fuel tank. On the '75 I believe the only valve back there is the roll over valve.

I'm doing a frame off restro and took the canister off the bracket holding it in place to find that it didn't have a bottom or any guts! Guess it was air filtered:D. Rod

It needs to be on top with the snakk return line on top. Some thing about the way they are designed and flow.. I think its elfen magic

The bottom of mine is more or less open, but there is charcoal in there above a plastic screen. With the thing being open like it is I'm not exactly sure what real good it does. Mine does need a replacement fiber filter. No matter what, when it's done there will be tubes going to all the out/in lets. Emission might not work 100%, but they will look like they do.

Jimbo - I was afraid of that, I wonder if there are any other, not stock filters that will do what I need. Space is a problem, but a real problem is the solid line going to the carb. and where the filter needs to go is a 90d angle with very little in the way of room to make the turn. The arrangement just beggs for a kinked rubber line. Not good. This arrangement has worked and I will use it if need be, but it seems like there must be a better way. I just don't want my better way to be a subject on forums like this of stupid PO manglements.

Last edited:
Annnnnddd that was easy, I stopped in my local parts story, explained to the parts guy (who also has Jeeps) who totally understood my problem. We pawed the parts books and came up with exactly what we were looking for. Vertical in and out port with a 90d vent/return. Perfect, it pays to have a parts guy who is an older Jeep guy.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks