Front Wheel Drive Hub Clutch Nut Calibration (2wd Nut Location on Dial Screw)?

Front Wheel Drive Hub Clutch Nut Calibration (2wd Nut Location on Dial Screw)?

CJbyALEX

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7 w/ 1971 258 i6 (Not sure about any other specs yet.)
Reassembling my front wheel drive locking hubs and, having cleaned and painted them, I removed the clutch, dial screw, clutch nut, spring and the cap that you turn to actuate the whole deal. I think I'm having a problem with the "default" 2wd location of the clutch nut on the dial screw. I tried all the way at the outside end, in the middle, and I'm about to try all the way to the inside, but a quick search showed those part names from the manuals weren't talked about on the forum, so please let us know, when reassembling the front wheel drive hub clutch, where does the clutch nut go on the dial screw?

Thanks!:notworthy:

Ok, put the left one on (at half) and turned it to 4wd and the front differential didn't turn. Turned it back to 2wd. Put the right one on (at inside) and turned it to 4wd and the front differential DID turn. Then I went to the left and turned it back to 4wd and now it turned, but then I turned them both to 2wd and now it turns on 2wd also. Trying to think on how this mechanism works and I'm having a hard time.

Ok, put the left one on (at half) and turned it to 4wd and the front differential didn't turn. Turned it back to 2wd. Put the right one on (at inside) and turned it to 4wd and the front differential DID turn. Then I went to the left and turned it back to 4wd and now it turned, but then I turned them both to 2wd and now it turns on 2wd also. Trying to think on how this mechanism works and I'm having a hard time.

Heres a few exploded views of a generic locking hub. Hope this may help.
https://www.google.com/search?q=loc...tent.jsp%3FpageId%3D0900c152800526a8;1000;430

It needs to be assembled in 4WD as there will be less spring pressure (part 4) to overcome when installing the dial (1,2) and cam parts (5, 6, 7, 8) inside the body (3)

Parts 6 and 7 need to be flush at the end and when installed into part 8, IT must line up with the 5 point index on part 6 to match the same 5 point hole under the dial (part 2) when part 2 is in 4WD.

By doing this, you will have the proper travel in the cam parts to allow the dial to reach both positions (2WD and 4WD).
There are many notches in part 7 to align into part 8 to fine tune this relationship.
Trial fit things without the spring and when correct, use a paint pen or marker to place dots in a row on all the parts as they are clocked with the correct alignment. When you restack with the spring, overcoming the tension can make them move.

DANA30lockoutexplodedpartspic_zps0b4ad679.jpg

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks