Front shackles tilted wrong way?

Front shackles tilted wrong way?

DaHans

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'83 CJ7, AMC 20, Dana 30, 258, Dana 300
I'm rebuilding my '83 CJ7. I've installed the OME YJ leaf spring conversion including new front shackle hangers. Please see the pictures enclosed, it seems the shackles are hanging the wrong way. Is this because the springs are new or there isn't really any weight on them? The shackles are OME 4.5" hole to hole. It just doesn't look right.

Furthermore, The shackles are evidently supposed to be installed with the "short" end of the triangle on top, but there is no clearance to install them that way.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4941.jpg
    IMG_4941.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4942.jpg
    IMG_4942.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 101
I'm rebuilding my '83 CJ7. I've installed the OME YJ leaf spring conversion including new front shackle hangers. Please see the pictures enclosed, it seems the shackles are hanging the wrong way. Is this because the springs are new or there isn't really any weight on them? The shackles are OME 4.5" hole to hole. It just doesn't look right.

Furthermore, The shackles are evidently supposed to be installed with the "short" end of the triangle on top, but there is no clearance to install them that way.

I believe you have them on backwards.

Caveman, Thank you for the reply. I don't think they are backwards, my understanding is the triangle should point inward to prevent shackle inversion. The frustrating part is the shackles didn't come with instructions so I called the company, the guy simply googled pictures which I had already done... so much for knowing your product. Either way, the orientation of the shackle wouldn't affect the angle they're leaning.

It should settle and look normal once you put some weight on the springs, and the springs will have to settle a bit.

It is normal for the shackles to hang negatively at full droop. Like Caveman said, I also believe you have them on backwards if that extra pin is meant to deter shackle inversion.

It is normal for the shackles to hang negatively at full droop. Like Caveman said, I also believe you have them on backwards if that extra pin is meant to deter shackle inversion.

I've done some looking online and it looks to me like they are on correctly. What makes you think they are backwards? Maybe I missed something.

Looking at the pics there is still the possibility for shackle inversion and bind. I think that pin is meant to contact the shackle mount and thereby limit excessive backward shackle swing which causes inversion and bind.

Anyway, any help is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I see. Looks like you are using aftermarket or fabbed shackle mounts. That is your issue, they are incompatible with those shackles. If I were you, I wouldn’t use those shackles unless you are a rock crawler. Also, I would lower the axle snubbers according to your lift height to avoid bending leaf springs and end up with a leaning Jeep. BTW, kudos for a clean frame off resto job.

I see. Looks like you are using aftermarket or fabbed shackle mounts. That is your issue, they are incompatible with those shackles. If I were you, I wouldn’t use those shackles unless you are a rock crawler. Also, I would lower the axle snubbers according to your lift height to avoid bending leaf springs and end up with a leaning Jeep. BTW, kudos for a clean frame off resto job.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the input, I agree I think they hang negatively because the leafs are new and there isn't any weight on them. Whether or not they're incompatible, I'm not sure, they are Crabtree shackle mounts and OME shackles, supposed to work. I not crazy about the look of the shackles (and they were expensive), might switch them out. With this lift, the high axle snubbers are useless, I'll reassess once it's all together. With as much work as I am putting in, call me what you want, but I will probably never take it off road again!

The resto is going along ok, of course like everything, it's taking twice as long and twice as much money! The frame down is almost done, I just have to reassemble the Dana 30 and put the transmission/transfer case back in. The next big step is the motor, do I put a 4.0 head on my 4.2? I'll cross that bridge in a few months...

Thanks for everyone's input and guidance!

I looked up a few towing shackles and they are not like these. Towing shackles are a triangle shape with the pin in the middle. His pin being off-center means is't just a boomerang shackle like he said.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks