Diff Front Axle to Match 8.8 Rear

Differentials
Diff Front Axle to Match 8.8 Rear

cloudsrest

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ7, 4.6L stroker, D44's, D300, NV3550, 35" MTR's
What passenger drop front axle would pair best with a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear? The 8.8 is 59.5” wide, and about 60.25” with a c-clip eliminator kit that also gives it 5x5.5. I currently have Scout Dana 44’s and planned to convert the rear to discs and install ARB’s, but was thinking an 8.8 already has discs and is stronger so it would be a better investment. It’s also wider==more stable.

I don’t want the rear to be wider than the front though…usually the front is wider to help with turning, and I want maneuverability and stability. Is there a way to widen the scout front without spacers, like installing outers from a 70’s Ford 1/2 ton Dana 44? Is there a better front axle to swap under it?

a Waggy front is wider by 2" than your Scout is...thicker tubes, too

Will have to cut and turn the inners of the Scout if you want to maintain caster

Aren’t wagoner front ends all driver side drop? I have a Dana 300. I know they’re 6 lug. I already turned the scout knuckles and have been driving on it for years. I don’t know why people talk about turning the inner c’s like it’s a big deal…it took me maybe two hours to grind, turn, and weld.

Sounds like you're good to go, then...hardest part's done

If you don't already have the 8.8, might be just as well off to convert the brakes on your rear and run it

Better clearance, aftermarket options and no c clips

73-78 were passenger drop

Last edited:
Sorry this is a late response to the OP on this post but here goes:

Some earlier FSJ axles are passenger side drop that would match up with the 8.8 with a C-clip eliminator installed. You can use small spindle bearing hubs up front and run Ford F-150 5x5.5 lug rotors to match factory Jeep bolt patterns. Your C-clip eliminator axle kit should be dual pattern, if not and you are running a stock 8.8 listed below with disc brakes, there is enough meat to safely drill the 5x5.5 bolt pattern on the factory axle flanges and rotor hats. I HAVE DONE THIS MYSELF AND NO ISSUES IN 18 YEARS OF RUNNING THE 8.8 AXLES.

Read the article or look at the important snippet I show below to use your 8.8 with the appropriate Dana 44.

NT SJ passenger side drop non disconnect would be the ideal axle to find for your Jeep. FSJ axles as well as Ford, Dodge and GM have much beefier axle tubes and steering related components as opposed to the Scout, Early Bronco and Jeep 1/4 ton stuff FWIW.

Here is what to look for courtesy of Motor-Trend on line magazine full article here:

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/154-0904-junkyard-axle-guide/

Breakout section you care about below:

Junkyard Axle Guide - Axle Scrounger​

Our Favorite Junkyard Housing Swaps​

Jp ArchivesPhotographerJohn CappaWriter
Apr 1, 2009

'74-'79 Wagoneer Narrow-Track Dana 44

Differential Location: Passenger side
Lug Pattern: 6-on-5.5
Good For: At about 60 inches wide it's a good streetable swap for most Jeeps with a passenger drop T-case
Pros: Very common in wrecking yards, heavy-duty axle tubes, cheap, easy to convert to other popular lug patterns with bolt-on junkyard parts
Cons: Will need to outboard mount leaf springs if used on CJ or YJ
Identified By: Stop sign like diff cover, spring-under housing, 60 inches wide

These are perfect width to go with your Ford Explorer 8.8 from 1995-2001 4dr, 2002-2003 Sport & the SporTrac pickup body version sourced axle assembly with rear disc brakes.

RR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks