Front axle angle

Front axle angle

SemperFiCJ5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ5.
What is the angle the you should have your front differential cover at. I am all over the road. I have Just a stock axle that hasnt been touched.
Other than a SOA. It's been a few years since I took it apart and when I put it all back together it was pretty much a guessing game.

There should be a certian amount of rearward angle, the more you take away from it the more it messes with your steering. I have heard that 2-6 degrees is where you want it.

Does this make any sence?

Does any body hve a rig with big tires that did a spring over swap?
How is your front end set up?

What is the angle the you should have your front differential cover at. I am all over the road. I have Just a stock axle that hasnt been touched.
Other than a SOA. It's been a few years since I took it apart and when I put it all back together it was pretty much a guessing game.

There should be a certian amount of rearward angle, the more you take away from it the more it messes with your steering. I have heard that 2-6 degrees is where you want it.

Does this make any sence?

Does any body hve a rig with big tires that did a spring over swap?
How is your front end set up?

I'm running 38.5" tires with SOA & 12"to14" of lift. I've a 6 degree shim in the front with a high steer setup & a spring reversal. I can take my hand off at freeway speeds no problem.View attachment 997

View attachment 998

View attachment 999

Is that a Dana 44 front axle? My problem is I cut my spring perches when I did my SOA. and when I put it all back together a year later I dont know what that angle should be on the gear housing. I thought I should point it directly at the transfer case, but that is not working. I was told by someone that it should be tilted back a few degrees(as toward the ground and to the rear)
I dont know much about wheel alignment but I guess I am messing with my camber by pointing it at the transfer case.
I guess There is hope if your rig rides that good.

I do have the shackle reversal on a 35 front axle with a SOA.

Is that a Dana 44 front axle? My problem is I cut my spring perches when I did my SOA. and when I put it all back together a year later I dont know what that angle should be on the gear housing. I thought I should point it directly at the transfer case, but that is not working. I was told by someone that it should be tilted back a few degrees(as toward the ground and to the rear)
I dont know much about wheel alignment but I guess I am messing with my camber by pointing it at the transfer case.

No that would be a Dana"60" front axle on my rig. Having the pinion pointed at the transfercase is good, but your right you have an alignment issue now.
JeepWire.Com From the Archives: Narrowing a Dana 44 Front Axle

That's a link to an article by John Nutter,that may help you. Sorry it's off another site. By the way, I'd be willing to bet that's not a Dana "35" front axle on your SOA rig. Dana "35" all started as rear axles.:cool:

Well I'm SUA but my front 30 is at 5* up as in pointed at the tc. and drives fine.

You would be messing with caster, not camber. Camber is if you are looking at the tire from the front the angle of the tire either towards or away from the jeep. Camber is built into the knuckle assembley and cannot be changed. Caster is the realationship of the upper and lower ball joints over the centerline of the axle tube. Optimum is 6* of positive caster. (top ball joint towards the rear of jeep).

To measure your caster accurately pull your ball joints on one side and stick a 3/4" wood dowel through the hole and use an anlge finder on the dowel to get your 6*. You can lightly bolt your springs to the axle (light enough so you can still rotate, but tight enough to hold the springs on the perches), set your caster then tack your perches to the tube.

Now, if your pinion angle sucks (pointing towards the ground too much) you can adjust your caster down to a positive 3* or so, but then you start affecting your steering, mainly your return to center. If it still sucks, gind off the inner C's, rotate, and set caster with a desireable pinion angle.

After you are done, take your degree measurement off the cover and post it up. Might be able to help someone else out.

Is that a custom axle someone had made? 35's were all rear. 27 and 30's were in the front.

Thanks Jokenring. I do have a 30 up front, and not a 35. I definitly have Neg caster. I will be able to tell this weekend how much I have and how much I need to move the axel. that will give me several hours of work to do.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom