Build Thread Frankensteined 72 Build

Build Thread Frankensteined 72 Build

zach-cj5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
76 CJ5
My little sister bought a 72 CJ5 from a family friend three years back, and she asked me to get it running and look more original. Previous owner had boat style rocker switches ready to be installed. As far as I know, it's a 72 styled fiberglass tub setup on a 1959 frame. When the previous owner "re-did" the jeep, they put the original VIN plate on the fiberglass tub, so that's how I know it's a 59 originally. I'm not sure why they put the 72 body and engine in, but I'm not here to fix stupid. The fiberglass tub has been hacked to hell, the welds look like a toddler did them, and the wiring was a rats nest. I pulled all the body off beside the tub, so I can start patching the giant holes in the tub. This is my first Jeep rebuild, but I know lots about trucks, diesels, and tractors. Not sure what I'm going to do with this build, but I know I'm re-wiring the entire thing.

That's some bubble gum welding you got there... :(
I think that's what happens when they mismatch years. Which I don't get why they did it when they used an aftermarket body. Could've ordered the correct body, and avoided welding entirely.

• Wow
Reactions: CJ
Some pictures of the jeep. Well guess not pictures are too big. Super frustrating View attachment 100460
The picture looks fine to me. If the image is larger than the max size it will be resized to max. If you want to make it smaller just drag the corners.

1000001179.jpg

resa1.JPG

Got the tub taken off, fiberglass tub was super easy for two of us to lift off
More "fantastic" welding by previous owner
1000004059.jpg1000004066.jpg

Really noticed the shaft angle on the rear driveshaft. Is this too steep? Or is this common for Jeeps?
1000004065.jpg
Can I rotate the rear axle towards the rear to take away some of that angle?

Overall pretty well covered in grime
1000004061.jpg
1000004056.jpg

1000004056.jpg

Definitely some creative welding you got going on. :chug:
As for the drive shaft angle, does the axle have any spring perch angle shims? Most lift kits come with them (up to 5 degrees). You may also get by with adding a small trans. drop. If you use shims and end up with vibration then it's time to measure your angles and go to a DC shaft, or just go for a custom DC from the start.

A little research and I believe the Jeep has a Dana 20 TC mated to a BW T-150 transmission. 1000004099.jpg
1000004089.jpg
1000004100.jpg
I am trying to verify the axles, rear looks like am AMC 200
1000004096.jpg
But I'm not sure about the front
1000004064.jpg
In regards to the axles, they don't have any shims. Is it normal for springs to be bottom mounted? I come from trucks and tractors, exclusively diesels. I'm used to springs being on top of the axle tube.
@CJ when you said a CV shaft, did you mean a double cardan shaft or a true cv shaft?

A little research and I believe the Jeep has a Dana 20 TC mated to a BW T-150 transmission. View attachment 100733
View attachment 100734
View attachment 100735
I am trying to verify the axles, rear looks like am AMC 200
View attachment 100736
But I'm not sure about the front
View attachment 100737
In regards to the axles, they don't have any shims. Is it normal for springs to be bottom mounted? I come from trucks and tractors, exclusively diesels. I'm used to springs being on top of the axle tube.
@CJ when you said a CV shaft, did you mean a double cardan shaft or a true cv shaft?
Yep, looks like a T-150 trans (should be a T-15) and a Dana 20 tcase. The rear is an AMC20 (should be a Dana 44 - are you sure this is a 72????) and the front is the Dana 30. This has 76 and up running gear. Is the frame boxed? 72 did not have any boxing. See our extensive database for more info:
I corrected my initial post to say DC drive shaft (oops :oops: )

BTW, since our server incident my next priority is repairing our orange keywords. If the word is orange a hover gives a description and a click opens the information page.

I just noticed in this post (Link)-> Build Thread - Frankensteined 72 Build -< you reference year '59, did you mean '79? A '59 frame is to short for a '72 body.
Nope, it's a 59 based off the serial numbers from the OE tag.1000003930.jpg
I am not sure the holes came drilled on the tub, so I think PO drilled holes accordingly. Or it could be 59 body with 72 power train. I have no way of knowing.

• Thanks for the Post!
The other things that make me think it's a 59 frame is the center portion of the frame is narrow, which is why there are angle brackets welded for the tub mount. The transmission mount is also far too wide for the frame.

• Thanks for the Post!
Pre 71 has a 81" wheel base, 72 and up has 84" wheel base.
Synopsys, 59 frame, 72 VIN and body with 76 and up running gear... WOW :chug: :beer:
Someone went to a :dung: load of crazy work...

Pre 71 has a 81" wheel base, 72 and up has 84" wheel base. You have 76 and up running gear and body. WOW :chug: :beer:
Synopsys, 59 frame, 72 VIN and body with 76 and up running gear...
Someone went to a :dung: load of crazy work...
Isn't the Vin plate 79?
They did a very poor job in their work.

Isn't the Vin plate 79?
They did a very poor job in their work.
I need to slow down... LOL :rolleyes: I looked closely at old posts
New synopsis, '59 frame & VIN, '72 & up body ('72 & up bodies are all the same except metal '72~'75 have under pass. seat storage box) w/ '76 & up windshield (wiper motor inside windshield frame) and '76 & up running gear / drive train (T-150, AMC20, Dana 30, 258 I6 (might be 232 - can't tell from pics)).

Some pictures of the frame
20240304_090315.jpg
20240304_090516.jpg

As I was taking these pictures I did my front axle is missing a u-bolt
20240304_090530.jpg

I think the engine is a 232 based off these two images
20240304_090455.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks