frame repair on a scrambler

frame repair on a scrambler

raser13

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ-5 '83 amc 258 straight six, motorcraft 2100 carb ,inline fuel pump, 1000 cca battery ,T-175 tranny,
hey boys and girls, need your help. i have a frame that has gone bad from just before the hump for the rear axle on back. as in there is probably more air at this point than frame. lol not quite that bad but close.

8CJJvHg.jpg

hN2xiSJ.jpg

7mExWmP.jpg

MAgogid.jpg

GcWtjjx.jpg

VzzhPSO.jpg

i have a CJ7 frame that was hit in the front available to me. would i be able to just cut off the rear, and graft it into my frame?

if not i plan to get steel stock and remake the back end. i would assume to do it right i would need to weld in a 2X4 tube "bridge" on the inside to add extra strength. and instead of butt joints i would use and off set. more zig zag end. don't know the technical term sorry. to add more strengths to the weld joint, and make it less likely for a stress fracture to re-occur.

if i'm way out of whack on any of this, or any recommendations for something im missing let me know. i've been welding thick steel bumpers and tubing for a while now. so i'm pretty confident that i can do this. just double checking my ideas before i jump off the deep end.

if any one has a link to a write up or video on how to do this let me know the seach bar got me nothing.

The back of the 7 is shorter, isn't it? Would you extend it or bob the tail of the 8? Or let the tub hang over the back? Just wondering.

As for the mating, I know folks have run square tube that sleeved inside the fresh cut sections basically allowing the front and rear sections to slide over the pieces until they touch.

I don't have a right up but I am confident you can find pics.

And by the way, I did a frame swap last year. And my frame was nothing like that one. Wow. Anyway, I got a full frame for $1000 off of Craiglist. I searched a few months before finding it. But found a couple and chose one closer to me. Drove a few hours and dragged it home. Might be an easier option for you.

Good luck and keep us updated

been looking for a while. all of them i've found have either had repairs already done to them or are needing repair. it's easier for me to trust my work than someone elses. and you never know exactly how they repaired it.

as for the rear end i intended extend the rear using pretty much the same method as merging the two sections together. sleeve on the inside, offset the weld and add the right diameter stock for the outside. basically i would just be adding the hump for the rear axle from the 7 and then adding an extension to the back of the body and then the back bumper and hitch frame. i might use some of the straight section by where the skid plate attaches to make the extensions. have to wait till i get it here to see where the tweaking stops.

You won't be the first or the last to have to repair a Jeep frame for sure. I'm not sure on the differences in the 7 and 8 frames but if the 7 frame is cheap and rust free that would probably get you going pretty quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

am i on the right track with how to mate the frame connections up for welding or is there a better way?

am i on the right track with how to mate the frame connections up for welding or is there a better way?

I think you are on the right track. A box sleeve on the inside of your splice is a good thing as well as fish eye plates over the repair area. Im waiting on Petescj to chime in as I know he has experience in the rusty frame business

"fish eye plate"?

When I cut my frame in half,

DSCN2529.jpg

DSCN2535.jpg

DSCN2544.jpg

83WB to 105WB

DSCN2554.jpg

I'm pretty sure those sections of frame are available aftermarket. Can't remember where I saw them though. I'll look around again and see if I can find a link.

I'm pretty sure those sections of frame are available aftermarket. Can't remember where I saw them though. I'll look around again and see if I can find a link.

If your referencing to the frame pieces in my pics, those were made, not purchased. I used 3/16" and 1/8" flat stock and cut them 20" in length. I then had a friend bend them 90° for $20. The 1/8" slides into the 3/16" piece perfectly then I welded the two halfs together.

If your referencing to the frame pieces in my pics, those were made, not purchased. I used 3/16" and 1/8" flat stock and cut them 20" in length. I then had a friend bend them 90° for $20. The 1/8" slides into the 3/16" piece perfectly then I welded the two halfs together.

No , I could've sworn I saw premade rear frame sections but all I can find now are three sided safety caps and they're only for 5's and 7's.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks