Found a CJ-7

Found a CJ-7

cdlongjr

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep CJ-5, 1987 Wrangler YJ, 1974 J-10
I have found a basket case CJ7 for $150. Owner just wants it out of his garage. Needs, , both front fenders & both front shackles but everything else is supposed to be there. Engine is out of the body. Won't know more about it until I see it. I'm thinking about replacing the brake lines on the 5, selling it, then rebuilding the 7. Momma says you sound like a great bunch of folks on here & to ask your opinions. She doesn't want me tied up trying to put the 7 back together. Momma also says the 5 is runnin', so what's the problem? As this is a hobby for me, I don't use household money to keep my toys running. I do outside jobs when I can find them for the cash for my toys. I figure I figure on asking $4K for the 5 if I deside to sell her. What do ya'll think?

That depends a GREAT deal on the condition of that 7. If you can move the 5 for good coin, you may be able to get a damn good starter or better 7 for the money. Be sure of what you are buying, a basket case will generally bleed you of time and lots of money if you don't have good resources for parts.

I agree with coldwater, the 5 could end up being a money & time pit:rolleyes:

I'm betting you can get 4K out of the 5 without replacing the brake lines. Just tell the new owners about it.
Then use that money to fund a much nicer 7 that runs. I get the feeling you aren't ready to sit and look at a Jeep sitting in the garage for an untold amount of time, without being able to drive it once in a while (or ever). Thats what burns out a lot of people on projects in general, jumping in before they realize whats involved in a basket case.
Hey I could be wrong, and a basket case is perfect for ya! If so, then please by all means rescue another classic from the junk heap! You've shown that your interested in the Cj phenomenon, and seem to be willing to work to get it right.
Just make sure of what you want to do before you jump into anything...

Figure out what you would need to spend to get the basket 7 running and double it. I agree finding a 7 someone else already sunk the time and money into can save alot of time, money, and headaches. A basket case 7 is for someone who has a ton of time, money, and patience. I bought a 5 basket case a while back and lost interest plus my goals for what it would be used for changed so many times. If you are a patient person,(read that as extra super patient) I would say go for it. You could sin 5 grand into that 7, and not get your money back out of it. Find one someone else sank the 5 grand into, and snatch it up for 3. In this economy, you can find a lot of people just looking to get some cash fast. Maybe look for one you may be able to drive while fixing it. Just my $.02 .

Everything ya'll say makes sense. I'll look the 7 over, then decide. I'll try to keep on open mind. Momma reminded me about our boat & the summer weekends are pretty much gone as the boat is "her" Jeep, which means there won't be lots of weekend daylite hrs. for the 7.

with thew interest she's shown in the CJ5, I'd bet that with a nice looking and good-running CJ7, she might be willing to trade some boat time for Jeep time.
Besides, you can always take the boat and the Jeep out for a weekend of fun!

I'm a little confused here. I thought you wanted a CJ that you could drive, not one that you had to work on.

If you sell the 5 and buy the 7 not only will you not be able to drive it but you will have a massive amount of work to do. The 5 only needs a few thing done to it and it is ready to go.

Even the few things (except for the brakes) aren't too bad as far as I'm concerned. A little pinion and trans seepage is not that bad of a problem, there is no reason you can't drive it as long as you keep and eye on the levels.

This all depends on do you want a project or a driver?

Ok CJ, ya talked me into it. I'm keeping the 5 & trying to get the 7 for a rainy days project. I can't pass the 7 up for $150. Even if it's years before I get it together. (Really Momma said " NO WAY" to sellin' the 5)!

I'm happy to hear your keeping the 5 and getting the 7 too! As you said, $150 is really nothing for that 7.

That sounds like a well thought out decision ( I mean from the missus! :laugh:)
$150 is too good of a deal to pass up, fo' sho'! I just looked at a project 5 (first one I've actually seen in town) stripped Frame, chevy full-size axles, tore up body with no interior or wiring, NO engine or drivetrain, and the guy wants $1200 for it :p
No thanks!

Are you going to modify the wheel wells so you feel a little more comfortable?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom