Flange verses 2 piece

Flange verses 2 piece

driver007

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj5 304 v8, 300 Dana,model 30 Dana and model 20 AMC rear end
Did amc use both one piece and two piece Danna 44 axles? Were the early Danna 44 two piece and the latter ones flanged?

IIRC they where flanged from 1970 or 1971 on. Early cj's were two piece.
The flanged axles are nice and easier to work on but I haven't really had any problems with two piece setup either.

mike

I picked up 2 77cj5 parts jeeps. The 44 from the parts CJ5 is going to replace my corp 20. Will the 77 be one piece?

I picked up 2 77cj5 parts jeeps. The 44 from the parts CJ5 is going to replace my corp 20. Will the 77 be one piece?

There is no such thing as a 1977 CJ Dana 44 so it must be a swap out. It could be from a 1972 to 1975 CJ, a 1972-73 Commando, or maybe a Scout. Also a cut down FSJ is an option.

Ok My confussion comes from the fact that his 77cj5 has a Danna 44. The owner said it was factory. So I assume I will have to cut and weld new perches on. This should not be two hard any hints on the proper way and angles of doing this?

Ok My confussion comes from the fact that his 77cj5 has a Danna 44. The owner said it was factory. So I assume I will have to cut and weld new perches on. This should not be two hard any hints on the proper way and angles of doing this?

Again, Jeep did not build a 1977 CJ with Dana 44 axles so this axle is not factory, at least not 1977 factory. As stated above there are swaps available and if the subject axle resides in a 1977 CJ then it will be a direct bolt in to your 1981. I would slap it in.

Last edited:
The fact that Danna 44 did not come in a 77 as pointed out by Saddle Tramp makes me believe the frames I have most be earlyer vintage then stated. They are not where I can get at them for a few days. I am thinking that if that is the case then new perchs will have to be put on. I understand that new perchs can be bought. So the old ones would be removed and the new ones put on. Welding is not the hard part making sure the angles are right or the info is my unknown.

The 2 piece style came in older axles with an offset diff. If the diff is centered it is the flanged type from 72-75.

The frame these dana44s came with are strait while the newer ones with an AMC20 axle flare out wider at the back.

Unless you are installing a significant lift I would copy the AMC20's factory pinion angle. Cant really go wrong mimicking what the factory did. The only complication I can think of is you might have to park on a slope to fill the oil to the right level... but I suspect the angles will be very similar with both axles; both from a CJ5 after all.

Thanks for the info everyone. BCcj I was thinking like you I would mimick the angle of the Corp. Or the org angle of the Danna 44 just move the perchs.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks