Fishing Part deux

Fishing Part deux

CJim7

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'84 CJ7 - 430hp 401 on propane - T18a/D300 twinsticked, Superior axles, Lockers, full boatsides, Warn 8274, OBA, 36" TSL's.
So I know there is already a fishing thread, but why not start another? You can never have enough :D

I've been flyfishing almost exclusively since I was 8 years old. growing up in the backwoods of Montana, its what we did. When I finally got invited to go bass fishing of course I had to bring my flyrod along. I wont say it was the best idea, but I caught a few :D

I've never perfected bass fishing even with spinning gear and stuff that looks just like a leach, worm, fish, etc....but I always try to learn. Last week I lobbed something with what seemed like 5 spinner spoons and a small cat on the end of my line into the weeds to see if bass really go after stuff like that. All I did was lose a 7$ lure in the weeds :rolleyes:

So tell me. Who here uses what to catch the fish in their neighborhood?

(pictures are always welcome)

All I ever fish are high mtn lakes so all I just catch is trout. We use flies with a bubble or lures. Or if you want to just kick back in a chair with a beer throw it out on the bottem with some bait and wait.

rainbow_a.jpg
I caught this guy a few years back when I still lived in Montana. Sure miss the Bitterroot

PART_1458571044431_zpse4jbaibz.jpg
My little guys first bass. last weekend.

If he is anything like my kids he is hooked and will want to go every weekend. Even my girls love to go fishing and will clean them afterwards.

So I know there is already a fishing thread, but why not start another? You can never have enough :D

I've been flyfishing almost exclusively since I was 8 years old. growing up in the backwoods of Montana, its what we did. When I finally got invited to go bass fishing of course I had to bring my flyrod along. I wont say it was the best idea, but I caught a few :D

I've never perfected bass fishing even with spinning gear and stuff that looks just like a leach, worm, fish, etc....but I always try to learn. Last week I lobbed something with what seemed like 5 spinner spoons and a small cat on the end of my line into the weeds to see if bass really go after stuff like that. All I did was lose a 7$ lure in the weeds :rolleyes:

So tell me. Who here uses what to catch the fish in their neighborhood?

(pictures are always welcome)

Having a home on one of the top bass lakes in Wisconsin, (until it froze out 3 years ago! :() I have developed what most think of as rather unorthodox bass fishing methods. My dad was a big fan of the plastic worms, but about all I managed to do was reel in a lot of weeds. I always liked the way a bass would jump at the dragon flies skimming the surface of the water, so here is what I have developed, and this method is quite productive.
I like to use floating lures. They can be almost any kind, as long as they float. The front of the lure has to have a somewhat flat, or have a short spoon to it. Even a floating Rapala works since you can slowly work it through the lily pads without snagging. Baits similar to these.
Fred_Nichols_Pico_Jumbo_Killer_Bass_Lure_Corpus_Ch.jpg

d9b3f2d1e2c60f27639e09564372d9e1.jpg

Since I practice catch and release with bass, I remove all but the tail end hooks. Presentation is everything. I cast the lure into a lily pad bed, or next to a fallen tree, but instead of retrieving the bait, I just let it lay there for 2 to 4 seconds. Then I twitch it enough to create a splash. Next, I slowly begin retrieving the lure, and I do mean slowly! twitching it enough to cause a splash about every 2 to 4 seconds. If the bait dives, or begins to do its intended wiggle or what ever it was designed to do, you are going too fast. Once I clear the weed bed, tree, or whatever I was casting to, I just quickly retrieve the lure and start over. I have seen bass just watch the lure laying in the water and do nothing until it twitches, then Wham!
Nothing better than seeing a bass come out of the water when they hit a surface lure.:D

Last week I lobbed something with what seemed like 5 spinner spoons and a small cat on the end of my line into the weeds to see if bass really go after stuff like that. All I did was lose a 7$ lure in the weeds :rolleyes:

I got a good laugh out of that one. Been there, done that. I love taking my boy out to the local rivers, lakes and coast but we're not very good at it. The bay and ocean are my favorite. Have no idea what might be on the other end.

Having a home on one of the top bass lakes in Wisconsin, (until it froze out 3 years ago! :() I have developed what most think of as rather unorthodox bass fishing methods. My dad was a big fan of the plastic worms, but about all I managed to do was reel in a lot of weeds. I always liked the way a bass would jump at the dragon flies skimming the surface of the water, so here is what I have developed, and this method is quite productive.
I like to use floating lures. They can be almost any kind, as long as they float. The front of the lure has to have a somewhat flat, or have a short spoon to it. Even a floating Rapala works since you can slowly work it through the lily pads without snagging. Baits similar to these.
Fred_Nichols_Pico_Jumbo_Killer_Bass_Lure_Corpus_Ch.jpg

d9b3f2d1e2c60f27639e09564372d9e1.jpg

Since I practice catch and release with bass, I remove all but the tail end hooks. Presentation is everything. I cast the lure into a lily pad bed, or next to a fallen tree, but instead of retrieving the bait, I just let it lay there for 2 to 4 seconds. Then I twitch it enough to create a splash. Next, I slowly begin retrieving the lure, and I do mean slowly! twitching it enough to cause a splash about every 2 to 4 seconds. If the bait dives, or begins to do its intended wiggle or what ever it was designed to do, you are going too fast. Once I clear the weed bed, tree, or whatever I was casting to, I just quickly retrieve the lure and start over. I have seen bass just watch the lure laying in the water and do nothing until it twitches, then Wham!
Nothing better than seeing a bass come out of the water when they hit a surface lure.:D

I like using floating rapalas, around here it seems to be the one thing bass key on. I haven't refined my techniques for catching the dang things though.....I'm still learning what works and what doesn't. Mostly I've figured out what doesn't.
Last year I took my flyrod and a handful of various "poppers" out to a bass pond and caught a good amount of smallish bass. I eventually switched to a small popper and caught a lot of bluegill (those things are gullible)
Right now, unless I'm wrong, the water seems a bit cold to catch bass at least regularly. (another thing I'm learning).
My first love is trout fishing on mountain streams, but as of know, it's all spring runoff so I settle for the many ponds around here for stocked trout and occasional bass. We have the Snake river here which can be interesting fishing at times.....everything from trout to sturgeon, but it's not my cup of tea

My youngest son took me on a Canada fly in for......................well, everything this year! ie Father's day, Christmas, Birthday, Ground hog day, Flag day, etc. :D. Every day!
I have heard many stories of fishermen catching Muskies and Northern while reeling in pan fish and the larger fish hits the pan fish, but now I have a first hand story of my own!
We had just come ashore to have a shore lunch of the Walleye that we had caught. I reached over the side of the boat to pull in the stringer of walleyes, when a 35" Northern grabbed the stringer! I hung on to the stringer while my son grabbed the landing net.
End result: 35" Northern in the boat, walleye relatively unharmed and delicious!
Northern returned to the lake to fight another day.:D

Attachments

• WP_20160704_005.jpg
    WP_20160704_005.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 49
  • WP_20160704_007.jpg
    WP_20160704_007.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 147
Very nice! Would have loved to seen that happen.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom