first cj 1969

first cj 1969

amp1956

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
69 cj 5. Buick v6 stock now but starting rebuild been sitting for 5 or 6 years plus I have others
Just saved from gulfcoast cancer the top was rusted all most off but floors are still good has a v6 going through it now to get running been sitting for a few years would like to update steering
to more modern maybe power any suggestions have never done a jeep CJ5 worked on a few Cherokees /

Just saved from gulfcoast cancer the top was rusted all most off but floors are still good has a v6 going through it now to get running been sitting for a few years would like to update steering
to more modern maybe power any suggestions have never done a jeep CJ5 worked on a few Cherokees /
:)
Pictures would be nice.............not that hard to update that old Ross steering to a Saginaw 800 power gear box.........It requires cutting and removing the column and shaft away from the old Ross gear box. Or replacing the column with an aftermarket........Boxing in the frame horns up front & Mounting a replacement Saginaw gear box forward of the radiator cross member......New steering shaft from the column to the gear box with a universal joint or two. Change over your tie rod to a one piece and also a new Drag Link from the Sector shaft.....
The hard part may be finding the brackets for the steering pump on the V-6. What exhaust manifolds to you now have on the drivers side? That will tell you what brackets your looking for.........

:D:D:D:D

thanks will post pics this weekend has stock exhaust for now will be putting headers on in future are there any non power racks that are used

thanks will post pics this weekend has stock exhaust for now will be putting headers on in future are there any non power racks that are used
With Headers either the High or Low Power steering brackets for the V6 will work. With the front dump cast Iron factory manifold normally found on those only the High Mount would work.
I assume your question about a rack is in reference to a steering gear? I have never a rack successfully ever used on an early CJ.........and a non power Saginaw is barely a step up from the old Ross..........One of the best and more welcomed conversions on an early CJ is the addition of Power Steering.

hope these come through not to good at the upload

hope these come through not to good at the upload
As mentioned , looks like you do have the stock cast Iron pipes and stock Ross steering ...........also looks like you need a windshield frame. Plenty of work there to keep Ya busy!

And a lot more but the price was right and it runs

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks