Fall Aspen Leaves

Fall Aspen Leaves

Bill D

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5 Renegade. 6-258 engine, Howell FI, T-176 four speed, 300 transfer with Terra Low 4:1 gears, Dana 30 front with ARB air locker, AMC 20 rear with one piece axles and welded axle tubes and an ARB air locker. Both differentials running 3.73:1 R&P's. Onboard air, Warn 8,000lb. Winch- - -
2003 Jeep TJ "Rubicon" with all the Rubicon goodies, Terra-Flex 3" lift, adjustable track bar, sway bar disconnects, LED headlight conversion, Quadratec 9000 winch. - - -

1963 Willys CJ5 with a 134 ci F - head, three speed T90 tranny and a Warn overdrive. - - -

1949 CJ-3A. My latest acquisition and favorite plaything.
Yesterday was getting close to the optimum viewing time for fall colors here in Colorado so Carol and I decided to go up into the high country for some viewing. I had taken the top off and purchased a Bikini top but we decided that since it was a warm, cloudless day here in Colorado Springs, the Bikini top would be sufficient.
We threw some extra cloths, some picnic items and "Sooner" the wonder dog into the back of the CJ5, filled the gas tank and set off on highway 24 west. The polo shirt that I had started out with was just fine until we got to Divide, CO but by then, I decided that the hoodie that I had brought might feel good. By Buena Vista, the leather jacket on over the hoodie felt even better. We had already started to see a buildup of the heavy grey clouds and a few sprinkles on the windshield.
We had planned to go on west up toward Mount Princeton to the ghost town of Saint Elmo, then over Tincup Pass to Taylor Park, then back east to Buena Vista and home. . . .about a four hour trip.
The rain held off and we even had some bright sunshine up most of Tincup Pass. The day was progressing mostly as planned even though it was a bit colder than anticipated. Even at that, it was fairly pleasant. The top of Tincup Pass brought another surprise. Wind was picking up and some of the gusts were pretty strong. It had again clouded up and was throwing some very light rain against us. In case there is a question in anyone's mind, Bikini tops are meant to keep only the sun off of a person and that wasn't a problem at the moment. To those who haven't driven it in some time, Tincup Pass is very rocky and the going is slow. By the time we arrived at the lake at the bottom, the shadows were getting long and it was now a given that it would be full dark by the time we got home.
We drove on through the town of Tincup (Tincup is not a town, only a collection of residences in various stages of disrepair) and north into Taylor Park to the Cottonwood Pass road that would take us back to Buena Vista. Surprise!!!! There was a large sign and several barricades informing us that Cottonwood Pass Road was closed.
To make a long story short, we finally arrived back at Buena Vista by going south to Gunnison, east to Poncha Springs and north to Buena Vista - a good many miles out of our way. We fueled in Buena Vista and took highway 24 back to Colorado Springs and home arriving at 9:30 pm.
One incident on the way home - it was pitch black, had been raining and the pavement was wet and black, traffic was heavy with strings of 15-25 vehicles in the oncoming lane of the two lane highway when a car pulled into our lane to pass a truck in the middle of one of those strings. Apparently oblivious to us, he came right on forcing us to do a locked brakes skid to the far right shoulder. I had no idea how far of a drop off awaited but luckily, nobody hit anybody.
A day in the life of a Jeeper.

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2386.jpg
    IMG_2386.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 78
In the photo taken in Saint Elmo of the little boy, notice the WWII Jeep trailer.

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 81
:ty:
Great story and pictures. :notworthy:
LG

In the photo taken in Saint Elmo of the little boy, notice the WWII Jeep trailer.

Yes, I did.;)
How many folks live there, would you guess?
LG

Yes, I did.;)
How many folks live there, would you guess?
LG

Probably not more than a dozen and ten of those may be outside the city limits.

One other pic I wanted to share. Taken where we fueled yesterday. These Missouri folks and their JK's:

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 36
My wife is from Missouri, her last name is Schofield.
LG

My wife is from Missouri, her last name is Schofield.
LG

So. . . .Your name is Lumpy G. Schofield?

Can hardly wait to meet you next year at the trail ride.

Attachments

• IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2383.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0557.jpg
    IMG_0557.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 32
She does use her Schofield name with mine.
Quite a family history on her side........
Hope my Doc, ok's the trip.
LG

So. . . .Your name is Lumpy G. Schofield?

:)

Thanks for the trip report, looks like fun, except for the oblivious driver. Long day of wheeling.
Nice pics, leaves are starting to turn in the Northeast as well.

Bill....the group I was with last week knew of the Cottonwood Pass closure...rock slide that the Forest Service didn't want to deal with so late in the year. Otherwise we were scheduled for that trail ride.
We were in that area all week last week.
Sorry we didn't see you on the trails that day.
Did you see any large numbers of flatfenders running around ?
That would have been us...based out of Nothrop.

Sorry we missed you Jim. I don’t think we saw a flattie all day. We did see a brand new Subaru SUV on top of Tincup Pass. A couple of years ago we saw a fairly late model BMW sedan within a couple miles of the summit. Some folks have a higher tolerance of undercarriage damage than I do.
Next time you get in the area, give us a call (or PM) and we will meet you somewhere.
BTW, did you see the write up on The Four Wheeler Network about their run to Mount of the Holy Cross last June? It was hosted by our friend Eric Young. Glad to see him getting some exposure.

Bill

Eric came over and visited and stayed for 2 days.
Hadn't seen him in 20 + years.
I think we missed the colors by about 1 week, not quite there yet.
We left a Land Rover atop Mt Princeton that found out his brake pedal went to the floor after he got up there.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom