Exhaust for SBC Conversion

Exhaust for SBC Conversion

Super8mm

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5, 4 cyl, Borg Warner/Ford SR-4 4 spd, Dana 300 transfer case.
Start a heart transplant mid November with LS1 and SM465 :-)
In doing a SBC conversion and using the close block headers where is a good place for the exhaust to exit?

if going straight out the back does exhaust fumes come back inside? My old 70 CJ5 with the V-6 exited in front of the rear wheels and that was a bit noisy.

Thanks

Currently mine dump under, just before the rear axle. I know this isn't ideal but it works for now. I will be changing it to dump just after the rear wheels out the sides.

On edit: If you haven't purchased the headers yet, try to get headers that have the collectors coming straight down when attached to the motor. Mine are angled and make it a bit more complicated to attach the pipes.

Last edited:
Dump the exhaust just behind the rear wheels about in the middle of the tire, that way the exhaust is kind of caught in the slipstream of the tires and taken well to the rear of the Jeep. I had the exhaust coming straight out the back, and was nearly overcome by fumes.

Currently mine dump under, just before the rear axle. I know this isn't ideal but it works for now. I will be changing it to dump just after the rear wheels out the sides.

On edit: If you haven't purchased the headers yet, try to get headers that have the collectors coming straight down when attached to the motor. Mine are angled and make it a bit more complicated to attach the pipes.

Thanks, the ones that Novak have listed for the Gen III LS motors do point down.

Dump the exhaust just behind the rear wheels about in the middle of the tire, that way the exhaust is kind of caught in the slipstream of the tires and taken well to the rear of the Jeep. I had the exhaust coming straight out the back, and was nearly overcome by fumes.

Thanks, that is what I work wondering about them coming straight out the back. I will plan on taking them over the axle and out the sides

This is key right here and why most factory systems are set up this way. The fumes can get really bad if the exhaust points straight out.

This is key right here and why most factory systems are set up this way. The fumes can get really bad if the exhaust points straight out.

Thanks, Kane

Thanks, that is what I work wondering about them coming straight out the back. I will plan on taking them over the axle and out the sides

Mine come out behind each rear tire at about a 45* angle. No issues with exhaust coming back into the cab.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks