Engineer & Corkscrew Pass in SW Colorado

Engineer & Corkscrew Pass in SW Colorado

BusaDave9

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 Jeep CJ5 with 304 V8, T18 Transmission, Dana 20 Transfer case with TeraLow 3:1 gears, 4.88 axle gears, Detroit Locker up front and Ox Locker in back with 1 piece axle shafts, 36" SuperSwamper SX Tires, Shackle reversal, MileMarker Hydraulic winch, MSD 6A ignition.
Actually I went over Engineer Pass, California Pass, Hurricane Pass and Corkscrew Pass all without getting out of 4WD Low but that's too long for a thread title.
This route is what I plan on doing for the first day of the http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f100/2nd-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-com-trail-ride-12496/
I wanted to pre-run it to see how long it would take. I was worried the first day of the trail ride would be too long. After pulling off the highway I was in 4WD low 10:00 am to 3:40 pm.
Anyone interested in joining us on the 2nd Annual Colorado Jeep-CJ.com trail ride check out this link: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f100/2nd-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-com-trail-ride-12496/
First off was Lower Engineer Pass trail. I love this trail. It's very rocky and slow going. It's not really too difficult but at times it is a little off camber to the downhill side.
Three miles south of Ouray I turned off of highway 550.
001EntrancetoLowerEngineerPassTrailLarge.jpg
From here the trail starts off very rough.
014Large.jpg
011Large.jpg
This next picture is looking back to highway 550.
007Large.jpg
009Large.jpg
The road smooths out a bit where they built a shelf road. Great scenery but you better keep your eyes on the trail.
010Large.jpg
After half an hour I passed the fork that leads to Poughkeepsie Gulch. That's a fun but difficult trail. But today I plan on sticking with Engineer Pass trail.
Later as I rise I get a good view of Poughkeepsie Gulch:
05PoughkeepsieGulch.jpg
I decide to have lunch at Mineral Point. Mineral Point is an old mining camp at about the tree line.
11Lunchtime.jpg
I brought my dog so at lunch time I give him a treat (milk bone) and myself a treat (a beer).
Shortly after lunch I get to a fork. The lower trail goes to Animas forks ghost town. But I take the higher road to the top of Engineer Pass. Here I can look back down on the trails around Mineral Point.
21MineralPointviewedfromEngineerPasstrail.jpg
A little later we are on Engineer Pass. It looks like the top of the world. Here's a picture from the 1st Colorado Jeep-CJ.com trail ride.
4-04EngineerPassLookout.jpg
I backtrack a short distance down the same trail I came up. When I get back to the fork to Animas Forks i check my clock. Going to the top of Engineer Pass took 45 minutes.
I follow a rocky trail down to Animas Forks Ghost town. This was a mining town 100 years ago.
0031_AnimasForksBW.jpg
Here's my CJ at Animas Forks
38CJ5atAnimasForksGhosttown.jpg
Animas Forks is known for this 2 story house with the bay windows.
Next I take a road that heads out the back of Animas Forks and into California Gulch. There I pass this mine:
59MineinCalliforniaGulch-BW.jpg
Here's another picture from California Gulch. I took this another year. There wasn't as much snow today.
63HurricanePk.jpg
Here is California Pass (also shot another year)
64Calliforniapass.jpg
After California Pass I pass by the top of Poughkeepsie Gulch and it's just a few more minutes before I get to Hurricane pass. Most of the day has been spend above the tree line.
Here I am coming down from Hurricane Pass.
decendingfromHurricanePassAnd2more_tonemappedLarge.jpg
As soon as I get down to the tree line I climb back out of it as I ascend Corkscrew Pass. This trail is not as rocky. It gets dusty.
Here is a picture of last years Colorado trail ride at the top of Corkscrew Pass. Then we were going the opposite direction.
3-01CorkscrewPass.jpg
Here's my dog, Koda at Corkscrew Pass
59Koda.jpg
53CJatCorkscrewPass.jpg
I continue on to highway 550 where I air up my tires and shift into 2WD.
That was just under 6 hours of four wheeling in 4WD low. That's what I plan on doing for the first day of http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f100/2nd-annual-colorado-jeep-cj-com-trail-ride-12496/

Last edited:
Looks good. The more water I see the better.

Awesome pics. Wish I could be there. What breed is your dog? Looks like a german shepard with a mountain lion tail.

My dog is a White German Shepard. Still just a puppy at 4 months old.

Great pix as always :notworthy:

Sure makes me wish I could make it this year...

Great pics wish I could make it down for this maybe next time your dog looks like its getting big.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom