Drive train noise - trying to be the nice guy

Drive train noise - trying to be the nice guy

garya1974cj5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1974 CJ-5
Recently I attempted to pull an elderly lady out of the ditch in front of my house during an ice over one morning. She didn't look to be stuck too badly, my 74 CJ5 wouldn't pull her out even in 4 low. I put the Jeep in the yard and got my Ford to get her out.
Now when I try to drive my Jeep it has a distinct bumping sound underneath , it is in the drivetrain but I cant tell if it is the rear end or the tranny. The sound is enough that you can feel it in the jeep. Any suggestions ? I guess I will pay the price for being the nice guy this time, that's the Firefighter in me.

I didn't get too crazy trying to pull her out , broke traction a couple times then changed my plan .

Ck your tranny mount and drive-shafts.
LG

My guess is a bad U-joint. It was probably ready to go and the added weight of a pull pushed I over the edge.

Good advise above, but be happy that it did whatever it did at home and not out somewhere...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies I will check these things early in the week when the ice clears up a bit. U joints make sense, wouldn't have thought about tranny bolts...good info

Don't drive it till fixed.
If you have any play at all in the u-joints. That's to much.
Don't go cheap here. Use Dana-Spicer.
LG

I had a guy break an axle on an old Scout while trying to pull me out of a hole in the Arizona desert 25-30 years ago. He barely got the cable tight and we had to leave my jeep over night. He refused to take any money. I was riding the trails alone and he just happened by with his family. I have never forgotten that and have always refused money when trying to help someone.

If you don't see anything obvious when you crawl under the Jeep, I would put it on blocks to get the weight off the wheels, put it in neutral and start moving parts by hand. It should be pretty easy to isolate the problem.

Jeff

i'm with everbody else on the u joint. I've had plenty of clunks over the years that trace back to it.

This was the clunk on my CJ5 when I got it home. Silly me I drove it 40 miles home too.

Nice trophy there Johnnyreb, sometimes keeping u-joints in a lifted CJ can be quite a challenge.

i'm not even lifted. just an owner of a neglected jeep.

Neglected is such a harsh word, more likely she's just old and a little tired. Some folks say they have never warn out a u-joint, I've never had a vehicle that didn't eventually need a fresh one every now and again.

worn out would be an understatement on that one Hedgehog.

Thanks for the helpful replies on this , I finally got good weather and a day off I could work on it. I feel stupid . I got under it and checked my fluid levels, lubed it and checked the u joints like you all said- nice and tight. Tranny mounts- tight. Jacked it up and rolled the wheels to no sound- rear end only.

I took it up to the church beside my house that has a nice paved lot and started rolling it and listening , the sound was actually in the front end. I got out and started looking, some dumby - Me forgot to unlock the right side wheel when I took it out of 4x4.

I unlocked that side and it has been fine ever since. Thanks for the replies again.

Been there done that, a short while back, I started on a 4wd trip and noticed that only one of my locking hubs was locked, and I have four of them! Anyway, thanks for the update.

THX for the follow-up.
So many times, we never hear the outcome.
:chug:
LG

Done that been there, my situation was an automatic hub that didn't release properly. I'm glad yours was really nothing at all. Over all it's a good thing that you checked everything out, now you know you are ready for the season ahead.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks