Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Jeep CJ7 79/84
So, bought a 79 CJ7 as a donor jeep and now I have leftover parts:

I6 AMC engine
Dana 300 Transfer Case
Manual 3 Speed Transmission
Wheels with 35" Tires (3/4 hold air, low tred)
Aftermarket Rugged Metal Gas Tank

So... I guess I'm supposed to sell this stuff but I'm at a loss on the how much any of this is worth.

The engine ran but it needs a new flywheel and starter. Everything is pretty clean at least compared to what I see most people posting. The engine is on a stand right now, do I get 2x4s and crate it up somehow?

My current engine is a 304 V8, the manual transmission would not be compatible right? I'm half guessing on the Dana 300 but it looks exactly the same as the other Dana 300 that I have for my main build.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 142
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 169
  • photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 155
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 134
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 123
To clarify, I am not offering these items for sale. I just don't know how to handle this stuff and I have to do something with it soon. I don't know what's worth keeping and what's worth selling.

All of it is sellable, if you have a 3 speed and D300 behind your 304 then the I6 stuff is the same all the way up to the bell housing. Craigslist will sell what you dont want and its a local site so you dont have to pack it up. the best thing would be to research ebay and caigslist to see what other people are selling their stuff for to give you a base line of what you might want/get out of your stuff BEWARE OF SCAMMERS on craiglist...nothing but cash deals and they haul anything else could be a con :chug:

Lots of usuable parts there.

Remember - Somebody NEEDS those parts somewhere!

:D

Firt things first , know exactly what you have. A 79 CJ7 would use the T-150 3 spd trans but would have a Dana 20 transfer case. Id start at $200 on the engine $150 on the trans and $100 on a Dana 20 t-case. $200 for a dana 300.

All of it is sellable, if you have a 3 speed and D300 behind your 304 then the I6 stuff is the same all the way up to the bell housing. Craigslist will sell what you dont want and its a local site so you dont have to pack it up. the best thing would be to research ebay and caigslist to see what other people are selling their stuff for to give you a base line of what you might want/get out of your stuff BEWARE OF SCAMMERS on craiglist...nothing but cash deals and they haul anything else could be a con :chug:
:agree: This is what did when I parted out a doner, was able to sell all the big stuff made almost what I paid for my 7 :banana:

Firt things first , know exactly what you have. A 79 CJ7 would use the T-150 3 spd trans but would have a Dana 20 transfer case. Id start at $200 on the engine $150 on the trans and $100 on a Dana 20 t-case. $200 for a dana 300.

I confirmed the year with a sheriffs VIN check on the vehicle, 79 CJ7 all the way. I don't know if the guy I bought it from did any modifications. He was claiming it was an 84. How would you tell the difference between the Dana 20 vs Dana 300

Would the I6 T-150 bell housing be compatible with the 304 V8?

(Please, bare with me on the "know exactly what you have" part. I'm still working to understand all the intricacies. I was convinced to adopt a stray dog (79-84 CJ7 Project) and am rapidly understanding the phrase "There's no such thing as a free puppy.")

Thats the thing with these Cjs , you never know what your gonna get. Many of them are a "mixed bag" per say. :) A picture of the trans and t-case from the opposite side will show the linkage. The Dana 20 uses a 2 rod shaped style. I havent seen a dana 300 mated to a T-150 myself.

As far as the bellhousing I believe they are the same. If know one posts up a definate answer I'll cross check part numbers when I get home from work.

I confirmed the year with a sheriffs VIN check on the vehicle, 79 CJ7 all the way. I don't know if the guy I bought it from did any modifications. He was claiming it was an 84. How would you tell the difference between the Dana 20 vs Dana 300

Would the I6 T-150 bell housing be compatible with the 304 V8?

(Please, bare with me on the "know exactly what you have" part. I'm still working to understand all the intricacies. I was convinced to adopt a stray dog (79-84 CJ7 Project) and am rapidly understanding the phrase "There's no such thing as a free puppy.")

Last edited:
If your going to hold on to the parts you need to prep em for storage

The motor I would pull the plugs and give the cylinders a good spray of wd 40 or a specific fogging type of oil then install the plugs. Spray make sure theres no fuel in the carb and spray it down inside with wd 40. if you dont have the exhaust on it spray down the ports with wd-40.. see a trend here. any thing that is gonna be open to the air and moisture you need to coat and cover.Id leave it on the stand unless you need the stand for other things. Get 2 heavy duty thick large garbage bags and double bag the motor on the stand.

The DANA 300 and trans just need to be kept out of the weather. If you want to be anal about it go out once a month and spin the shafts so it stay lubricated

The tires just be carefull they are not laying in water, exposed to direct sun light or and funny flat spots while sitting

the tank keep dry, seperate it from the skid plate and see if there is any corrosion starting.. if there is treat it now. also make sure it is empty.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks