Death wobble

Death wobble

Jeep guy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82" cj 7 4.0, aw4, d300, gm 10 bolt axles
So I got 5 brand new iroks on my 7 when I bought it but I didn't want to ruin them on the road so I bout a set of used 38x15.15x15 on 15x14 steel wheels. Jeep drove like a brand new jeep with the iroks, I put the others on and I can't break 30mph they have no balancing weights on them and I'm assuming that is the issue but its Pretty violent. Can out of balance wheels and tires cause this big of an issue? Could the wheels be warped? They appear to be good but may have an issue that I can't see?

Yes, yes, and it's hard to say. It is pretty difficult to get 38's balanced speaking from the guy who mounted tires for a time. That's a lot of rubber to make roll straight! Not saying it can't be done, but try and stay away from the chain stores only from lack of experience in the hands that work there.

It takes time to get some of those mud grips balanced well and doing it properly might mean unbeading a tire and rotating the rim. If there are any questions, just have them spin the rims without tires and see if they are off and mark accordingly. Mount a tire and give it a spin. If it is off a lot, try and move the tire on the rim to compensate for the difference.

This is for hiway tires, big *** mudders just walk sometimes, that's why they aren't called highway tires! Can't tell how bad they are off when you are throwing rooster tails off the back!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

Can out of balance wheels and tires cause this big of an issue?
Yes, definitely. That sounds like the most likely cause since it runs good with the other tires.

Could the wheels be warped?
It's possible. Have your wheels balanced and they can also check for damage. Usually the damage is obvious.

:agree: and if they are older super swampers they can take alot of weight to even make them half way drivable.

I don't think a 38x15.15 on 14" wide wheel was ever ment to go down a paved road at 50mph just crawling around off road. IMO

I don't think a 38x15.15 on 14" wide wheel was ever ment to go down a paved road at 50mph just crawling around off road. IMO

Agreed!

This won't be too expensive Dear! That's what I keep saying. Over and over again.

That's what I thought to but I saw them being ran on a 2005 z71 for a long time before I bought them so I thought they may be ok if they will I have no clue. But am taking them to a custom shop that specializes in large tire work they claim they can do it.

that 2005 z71 has a lot more weight. so the suspension absorbs the vibration via deflection. as opposed to the much lighter cj which doesn't deflection merely transfers to your seat.

with every set of tires we mounted on jeeps and off road vehicles, we had them Tru'd first.. they spin them and using some sort of blade, make them round.. contrary to tire makers, tires are NOT round.. then after they are Tru'd up, we balanced them (spin)..

Think I am feeling the beginning of the death wobble ,could steering box play be part of cause? I have a little free play.Running 32x10.5's

check out these:

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f99/troubleshooting-correcting-your-steering-4106/

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f99/what-do-after-getting-cj-home-10146/

Also check out the suspension components. My leaf centering bolts had broken and the leafs were shifting and loose around u-bolts for springs. this cause some pretty severe wobble, and diving with braking / acceleration.

You should also check out the driveline u-joints for wear, as drivlines will vibrate and feel "wobbly" before the u-jpoint breaks... you do not want one to break while doing 65 of the pavement...

:chug:
~ Jr

still believe I'd take them in, spin them and see how round they are.. then have them tru'd..

^ ^ ^ yes
Wheel weights may have fallen off. You can have them balanced.
But I would first check to see if something is worn. Check tie rod ends.
Jack up the front end. Then push and pull on the tire. This way you can see if the bearings are worn or loose. If you grab on the top and bottom of the tire and can move it, then you may have worn ball joints.
I could be a gearbox but don't jump to conclusions.
Did you have wobble when you bought the jeep? Was a lift added? An incorrect lift can cause instability (such as long shackles). An axle swap could be the issue if the caster isn't right.
caster.jpg

Thanks for the replies , the supsension all seems tight , have installed a 2.5 inch pro comp lift , replaced all bushings except front/front upper , am waiting on new 1/2 inch lift shackles with the solid piece in the middle to replace those bushings . Put a new set of tires on recently ,going about 50 mph can feel a little shimmy that comes and goes not steady like a ballancing issue .

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks