Death Wander

Death Wander

bobbybare

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ 8 Scrambler
My 85 CJ8 Scrambler wanders all over the road. All front end parts have been replaced that needed to be replaced. Has had a recent front end alignment. A 4" superlift was installed back in 1993 including a drop pitman arm. Front spring bushings were replaced a year ago. Rebuilt OEM steering box from PSI was installed last summer. Wheel bearings ok no play. Ball joints have no play. Four new shocks on last summer. New front stabilizer this summer. Jeep has 136,254 original miles on it. I'm running on Hankook Dynapro MT 33x12:50x15. This is the second set bought 9 years ago with @15K now on them. @1/2" tread left. Front U bolts are tight.

I suspect the tires. When vehicle sets over night or longer, and when you first begin to take off at about 20 to 35 miles and hour the jeep wanders/pulling from paint to paint. Then it seems when the tires warm up, only after driving 10 miles or more the jeep will track straight, but may begin top wander without notice. I've always ran with 23lbs of air on both sets. I ran the first pair until they were slick. The 4" lift put the castor at 2.6 degrees. I never had a issue with the tires until this past winter.

Can the tire have internal issues? I read about this at another forum. The shocks were worn out before replaced, but only one tire sits with a 5 degree slant when off the jeep. Rotating tires does not help.

Also, even after tires are warmed by driving, making a right or left sharp turn a slow speed causes the severe wandering to start again. Uneven pavement and bumps also exaserbates the steering.

Before, I drop @$1k for new tires is it the tires. Does Hankook MT's have interal issues after they age? Have they been recalled before?

Help Needed. Not sure I need an angle wedge for front axle if not needed since 1993. Can the big tires have this issue with soft spot developing while sitting over night?:(

I had the same issues with death wobble on my jeep. I read all the articles on what to check, everything was new. It was so bad and scary to drive I considered sell my jeep. Was looking through four wheel drive hardware and came across a wj adjustable track bar from JKS. I bought that, shortened it 8" to fit a CJ narrower frame. Welded brackets from frame and on top of diff. Now I have no wobble on any road. When off road I just loosen bolt on track bar so it slides, no loss of articulation. Solved my problem. I changed tires around too, at the time and it did not help. Movement in shackle reversal I think was my issue. Track bar was the fix.

Last edited:
Same problem w/ my mine, 4" RE lift and all new stuff. Fought it for a long time then someone on here brought up checking the caster. Did that, it was about where yours is, 2 to 2.5 degrees. Put 2 degree shims in it and had it re-aligned and it was MUCH better, recently changed to 4 degree shims just a couple weeks ago and now it is almost perfect. I would go with that first, it's a pretty cheap fix if it works.

^^^Caster as said above^^^

The other thing that will/may help is the steering box brace and or better mount, I built a brace for mine and it helped tighten up the steering quite a bit as there is much movement in the stock set up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks