Death Valley Tips?

Death Valley Tips?

Sasquach

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ5, 258 w/4.0head, Mopar MPI, P.S., P.B.,Tilt wheel, No stereo, t-18, t-20, amc 20, dana-30 w/tru-trac, Warn full float w/locking hubs & Detroit locker in the AMC.
1964 CJ3B, 4-134
1952 M100 trailer
Going to Death Valley in Dec. with the truck camper as base and doing day trips in the CJ checking out the terrain, mines, ghost towns, etc.
It will be our first time there and looking for any info/tips from others who have been.
Thanks.

right time of year Sas, that is the biggest tip. anyway most of the cool sites are well noted and directions are not hard to get, just make a route for each day and stick to it, if you are going to get out of the rig and walk around, leave that route at the hotel incase you do not get back, if you break down stay with the vehicle, they can find it a lot easier than you walking around in the desert.
most amazing thing is the racetrack, badwater will get you thinking about the early settlers, oh sheesh, it is all good

here is a pdf file

http://www.nps.gov/deva/parknews/upload/Visitor Guide 2010.pdf

have a blast:chug:

There's a old Japanese WW11 place out there somewhere.They do a lot of camping on the concrete slabs left over from the site.I'll get back to you when I find it.
Water and lots of it.Good air filter system
Mike:chug:

A neighbor of mine started exploring the mojave desert/ Death Valley in his CJ back in the 60's and evidently Paton used to train out there and he said he would find all kinds of military parafinelia like tank rounds and such there.

There's a old Japanese WW11 place out there somewhere.They do a lot of camping on the concrete slabs left over from the site.I'll get back to you when I find it.
Water and lots of it.Good air filter system
Mike:chug:
Here's the place i was thinking of.Don't know if its close or far to where your going.Slab City is the name.Its a old naval base.Have Fun
Mike

Hitchhiking, Backpacking & Budget Travel On the Road -digihitch.com

slab city

SLAB CITY - Life in the Pits of the California Badlands - Vice Magazine

Do you guys have any thought on the road into Wildrose canyon? We will be entering on 178 through Trona and would like to go straight into Wildrose and bypass Panamint Springs, The map says "rough narrow road w/ vehicles longer than 25' not permitted" and do we pay attention to this or would it be no problem for the Silverado HD/Lance combo and the CJ following with wife at the helm?:eek:

are you coming down 395?
if so stop at Manzanar, it is a old WWII interment camp, a must see to remember how we never again need to do such to our citizens

We go up 395 from the south and won't go past Manzanar for the D.V. trip. I have driven past there many times though and never stopped, guess I need to make the time. But we are going to Lone Pine this coming weekend and plan to go to the Rewawd mine and some others, Manzanar is right there.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks