Dana 300 Removal

Dana 300 Removal

n4thornton

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85, CJ7, 258, TF-999, D300, D44
I'm in the process of pulling out my D300 for a rebuild. Everything has been disconnected and I've broken all the bolts loose holding the TC to the tranny except the one located on top (12 o'clock position).. Any ideas on the best way to get to that bugger? I can't ever see it yet alone get up there with a wrench to take it out.

I have done it from up top after removing the trans tunnel cover.

:agree:
IIRC, it's a 1/2" nut.
LG

Ok got the 300 out. While doing so, transmission fluid came gushing out the back end of the tranny. I’m assuming this shouldn’t happen. Bad seal on the output shaft of the transmission?

Ok got the 300 out. While doing so, transmission fluid came gushing out the back end of the tranny. I’m assuming this shouldn’t happen. Bad seal on the output shaft of the transmission?

Yes you are correct, time for a new seal. Try to get the numbers off the old one before it gets destroyed in the removal process.

Thanks RiverandSand. Is there any more disassembly that needs to happen to the transmission or can the seal just be popped out the way it sits right now? It looks like I can get right at it but just want to be sure.

Your're run'n an auto tranny,'rite'? :confused:
Seal can be 'pulled' if you're careful.
NAPA will have the seal you need.
Stay away from OMIX-ADA-China JUNK.
LG

Thanks RiverandSand. Is there any more disassembly that needs to happen to the transmission or can the seal just be popped out the way it sits right now? It looks like I can get right at it but just want to be sure.

Reinstalling the deal is pretty straightforward as well. Just align it the way it can out and use a PVC large enough to rest on the seal and hammer it back in. Shouldn’t need any sealer on it or RTV or anything, but if you’ve got it, permatex super 300 around the edges is fine and a little added insurance.

Thanks everyone. Working on the rebuild now and finding the seals are a little bit of a pain to get out of the TC but I'm making progress.

Anyone have any experience with driveshaft replacement? The replacement parts I'm finding are from Omix which concerns me since everything I hear is negative. I don't want to spend the $'s on a new rear driveshaft without knowing what I'm getting...

Thanks everyone. Working on the rebuild now and finding the seals are a little bit of a pain to get out of the TC but I'm making progress.

Anyone have any experience with driveshaft replacement? The replacement parts I'm finding are from Omix which concerns me since everything I hear is negative. I don't want to spend the $'s on a new rear driveshaft without knowing what I'm getting...

I've only ever purchased drive shafts from Tom's Shafts. I avoid Omix at all costs.

Did you get a seal puller? They're pretty cheap at the parts store and well worth the money.

I've had a driveshaft built by a local drive line company. They did a great job, and it was very affordable. I also bought a front and rear on Craigslist ($20/ea). I put new u-joints in them, and take them along when I hit the trails. You can replace an entire shaft much quicker than a u-joint.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks