Dana 300 End Play and springs

Dana 300 End Play and springs

Ultrunner

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘85 CJ7, SCB 350, AX15, D30, Upgraded AMC20, D300
I have two questions for the experts here. Installing my transfer case rear bearing cap, I started with the original number of shims (3) and then put on the cap, end bearing and yoke and toqued the retaining bolts to spec. The shaft was tight to turn, but not impossible, but there was no play. I took everything off and went through it all again two more times, I’m up to 5 shims. The shaft turns slightly easier but still no end play. What am I doing wrong?

Also, how the hell do you get the second spring out (and subsequently the new one back in) of the front bearing cap, where the shifter forks go through? The front one drops right out along with the ball, when you remove it since there is a hole. The other one doesn’t have a bottom hole and I cannot get it out to replace it. Spring is all rusty.

Don't know if you solved this yet, and I'm not sure on the D300, but it seems to be very similar to a Dana 20. When I had the same problem, it turned out to be that the front seal wasn't quite all the way in. This caused the front yoke to rub on the seal and cause friction and my end play to be 0. Like you, I adjusted the shims several times without any success. Once I drove the seal in a bit further, all was well! I was able to set my end play per specs, and the shaft turned freely.

Thanks mriplaybass, I have resolved it and it was exactly as you said. I hadn’t driven the bearing race all the way in. Once I did the end play was perfect with the original number of shims.

Now if I could just figure out a good trick to get the shift rail ball and spring assembly in.

Holy :dung:! You’re right, that video was great. How did I not find that before I started? Thanks so much.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks