Diff Dana 20 overfilling from Trans?

Differentials
Diff Dana 20 overfilling from Trans?

Greenweenie44

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1972 Cj-5 304, T-15 trans, D20 trans case, Dana 30 fr/Dana 44 rear
Hi all, I’ve got a T-15 with Dana 20. Last week I noticed my transfer case was a little over full and transmission a little low. I cleaned vent and got fluid levels corrected. Checked it again today and same thing- trans low and transfer case over full. I was told the T-15 and Dana 20 share fluid and that there is no “seal” between them, so I’m a little mystified as to how this is happening. Any advice appreciated.

Solution
It's pretty common. What oil are you using and how full / under are we talking? (pints)
Does it return to the same level(s) each time?
What shape are your motor and transmission mounts? Has the trans been lowered for a drive line alignment issue?
There is no seal and the level is set by the bearings, after driving the levels will settle to their 'Happy Level Place.'

See -->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/dana-20-over-fill.58545/
It's pretty common. What oil are you using and how full / under are we talking? (pints)
Does it return to the same level(s) each time?
What shape are your motor and transmission mounts? Has the trans been lowered for a drive line alignment issue?
There is no seal and the level is set by the bearings, after driving the levels will settle to their 'Happy Level Place.'

See -->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/dana-20-over-fill.58545/

Solution
GL 4 80W-90. It’s not overfilled a lot. Goes to thin stream pretty quickly after I pull plug. Might be 1/4 to 1/2 pint at most. Had new motor/trans mounts put in December. No alignment issues. Maybe I’m pole vaulting over rat turds?

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks