Diff Dana 20 overfilling from Trans?

Differentials
Diff Dana 20 overfilling from Trans?

Greenweenie44

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1972 Cj-5 304, T-15 trans, D20 trans case, Dana 30 fr/Dana 44 rear
Hi all, I’ve got a T-15 with Dana 20. Last week I noticed my transfer case was a little over full and transmission a little low. I cleaned vent and got fluid levels corrected. Checked it again today and same thing- trans low and transfer case over full. I was told the T-15 and Dana 20 share fluid and that there is no “seal” between them, so I’m a little mystified as to how this is happening. Any advice appreciated.

Solution
It's pretty common. What oil are you using and how full / under are we talking? (pints)
Does it return to the same level(s) each time?
What shape are your motor and transmission mounts? Has the trans been lowered for a drive line alignment issue?
There is no seal and the level is set by the bearings, after driving the levels will settle to their 'Happy Level Place.'

See -->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/dana-20-over-fill.58545/
It's pretty common. What oil are you using and how full / under are we talking? (pints)
Does it return to the same level(s) each time?
What shape are your motor and transmission mounts? Has the trans been lowered for a drive line alignment issue?
There is no seal and the level is set by the bearings, after driving the levels will settle to their 'Happy Level Place.'

See -->> https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/dana-20-over-fill.58545/

Solution
GL 4 80W-90. It’s not overfilled a lot. Goes to thin stream pretty quickly after I pull plug. Might be 1/4 to 1/2 pint at most. Had new motor/trans mounts put in December. No alignment issues. Maybe I’m pole vaulting over rat turds?

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom