D30

D30

Flundertaker

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ7, 258, T5, D300, D30/D44 Pretty Much Stock
Having some work done to my CJ. Adding 33’s for mild off-roading will also regear to 4.88 and add some flavor of locking diff front and rear. Is it even worth fooling with the stock Dana 30 or should I just upgrade to a 44 or other before spending money (~$1000) on the Dana 30? I would prefer not to do this twice.

Research online recommends trussing, C gussets and shaft upgrades to chromo. I’m not opposed to doing this if it’s a viable and reasonable long term investment. My concern is mostly the gear size especially when you get up to 4.88 with the added stress of a locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Really boils down to exactly what it is you plan to do with it.

Being as you already have a 44 out back, that argument makes sense.

You're gonna come in way over 1000 before it's all said and done. You'll have a grand in the locker alone give or take, depending on the type. Moly shafts will be 500-550. Gears around 300. Gear setup will be the biggie, unless you know somebody that'll work you a deal. Probably run from 400-500, maybe a shade under.

Just some food for thought.

Sent you a pm.

Last edited:
I don’t know.... you’ll spend the same on a front 44 once you cut it to width and buy the same locker and gears and labor and so forth.

You say mild off roading...that and 33’s your 30 is absolutely fine.

The Dana 30 is actually a decent axle and for 33”s you should be ok if you are nice to it. If you plan on being rough a Dana 44 is a good idea or running a lot of power. My stock Dana 30 survived 35”s with a locker and cromo shafts. I blew out the stock hubs but the suprerlift replacements were fine. I have a automatic witch helps with the shock loading.

If you go with a 44 there are options but that can get pricey

Put a D/L in mine and it's still turning.
When I lived in CA. Played in the desert and rocks all the time
Don't forget to change the speedo drive gear in the t-case.

Gary

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks