converting to wide track

converting to wide track

jbabb

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7, 304 stock
I have come across a pair of wide track axles recently. Since I am not happy with the SOA that the previous owner did, I am thinking of buying 4" lift springs and putting them on the wide axles and up under the jeep. I am trying to get a idea of what the jeep is going to look like and was wondering if anyone could post a picture of one they have or have seen. I will be running 33s for the time being. Every time I search for a good picture, I get tons of pictures but most are not always jeeps axles. Mine will be 95% on road with little to no off roading so ride comfort is a main concern. Thinking of using the BDS CJ7 kit or maybe the RE kit. I hope this is posted in the right spot.

Here are a couple of members pics from when we went 4wheeling

Those are some really good looking jeeps there. What are the specs (lift and tires size) on the red CJ7. I am guessing wide track axles with about 6" lift and 35s?

The red one belongs to Tin Medic it has a 4" lift with 33" tires
The purple one belongs to Purple77CJ7 it has a 4.5" lift with 33" tires
Like I said both are members here so you can read more about their Jeeps and they are great guys so I'm sure they would be happy to answer any ? you may have.

Agreed. Both good looking Jeeps.

Here's the RE 4 1/2 " (1" body lift also) with 33's.

4 inch lift. 33 inch MTRs. 1984 with wide tracks.
P1020052.jpg

P1020058.jpg

Thanks for the pics guys. That gives me a good idea of what I want to do with mine. There are some mighty good looking jeeps on here! If I could get mine to look half as slick I would be thrilled!

here is a pic of my blue 78 CJ7. I put Wide Track Axles on it with 4" lift and 33s,
ry%3D400

Big thing to look for with Widetracs if you want to run 33's is going to be gears.

Most widetracs are going to have 3.31's or 2.73's in them, while you're probably going to want 3.73's or 4.10's to run 33's.

Most Narrow Tracs I've seen have been 3.54, so while you'll gain some width, you're going to have to spend some time or $$$ regearing unless you can find widetracs someone has already regeared.

That blue jeep is very nice..wouldn't want it to be any lower though..must not have a b.l?

Well here is my current thinking. I got the wide axles up on blocks the other day and they do have 2.73s in them. The narrow axles that are under the jeep now are on a SOA setup running 33s already. They have a 3.73s in them. I have read somewhere that it is possible to pull the carrier out of the narrows and put it into the wides. I do have a dial indicator and have set up a few rear ends before. Since they are both amc axles this should work, correct?

If they are both Dana 30's and AMC20's, the gears should interchange.

Yep, if you can set up gears you're good to go.

That blue jeep is very nice..wouldn't want it to be any lower though..must not have a b.l?

Thanks for the complement... you are correct, no body lift.

Im running 3.54 gears that i took out of my nt axles that were originally on the jeep.

The red CJ7 is mine. Its an 85 so I have stock wide track axles to start with. My gears are 3.73's with a ARB air locker up front and a Posi-trac unit in the rear.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks