Complete new guy with a couple questions

Complete new guy with a couple questions

smhclason

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7 258 straight six, still new to CJ's so I don't have very much to offer here
Hi, I am new to the site, and I have a couple questions.

I am new to CJ's and recently bought an 86 CJ7 with a salvage title. It has damage on the rear drivers side fender from a possible fender bender or roll over. I was leery of a salvage title but it had the healthiest straight six that I have ever driven in a CJ in my price range.

In the rear, there is a noticeable height difference from the drivers side to the passengers side, sort of a tilt. I have taken to all my "mechanic friends" and they assured me that the frame is not bent and that it shouldn't cause any problems. It drives straight and doesn't wander at highway speeds.

I'm fairly young and have no clue about suspensions or something that could have caused this. I know its damage caused by an accident. Could some parts have been replaced only on that side by a hack for a quick resale or could my suspension be sagging. Ive had a saggy suspension in other vehicles but from me crawling up underneath it doesnt look like anything is out of place or failing.

It could be frame damage, bad shock, bad shackle, and any number of things given your description. A couple of pictures might help. One of this noticeable lean and maybe one of the rear suspension. How much difference are we talking on the lean. 1 inch, 2 inches? Take a measurement of the following and post your results: Level ground to frame both sides, level ground to axle both sides, and level ground to body both sides. With a little more information we may be able to help. Thanks, and welcome aboard. Rod

PS: Salvage Title in CO means the vehicle was totaled in an accident. There are ways to get a clean title should you desire to do so.

Last edited:
I would suggest having it inspected by someone who knows Jeeps, Not "Mechanic friends". It was probably totaled due to its low blue book value. You might have quite good a find there.

Last edited:
I think the above are the most likely scenarios. Doing as others have suggested and taking measurements can lead you to the culprit. It could be something as simple as bad body mounts / spacers. Look at the parts of the frame where the body attaches. There will be little "pucks" between the frame and the body. On one side they might be crushed / split into nothing and in place on the other side. Another scenario is that the frame rails are solid but the body mount that is welded to the frame was bent up or down in the accident.

Get the frame ck'd ASAP.
How does it 'track' on a known straight /level road?
Rear corner damage can also mean rear axle damage.
LG

Before you put any time/effort/money into it, get it to a frame shop and have them check it on their rack.

Other than a bent frame, it could be body mounts, or Jeep Lean.

Could be as simple as the damaged body is just crushed down in the one corner. just making it look like its "leaning". But I'd get the frame really checked out right. Not worth risking your and your passengers lives over to guess. Btw pics would be awesome!

i think your sagging is not because of the wreck. and it almost surely totaled only because of the value. I'm an appraiser. I do think youve found a good buy as long as you can register a salvage title in your state. check it out first.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks