Coil Spring Conversion

Coil Spring Conversion

cj7inthetwigs

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 cj7
Howdy y'all! So I was cruising CL the other night and came across a sweet looking CJ7. I can't share link for some unknown reason but have attached a few images . This jeep is listed in Plano, Tx. The rear is spring and doesn't appear to be SOA or half some crazy shackle lift. Ad states jeep rides on 36" buckshots which fit the jeep perfect IMO. I like my tires to tuck inside the fender. My question for the mighty fine cj owners here is this, Does the coil conversion come in a kit or all custom fab? Does kit include layout? Is frame modification required? Pros / cons of this type of suspension ( I do have wide track axles) .Basically until now I was dead set on ruby xpress or BDS lift with yj springs and 1.5" body lift. I plan to run 33's ,but would really like the room to handle 35's without trimming my rear fenders as I like the round opening . I do fancy the flat tube fenders or MAYBE some old banged up factory style I could butcher up so the front tires had some more room.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413491342374.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413491342374.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 3,349
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413491358716.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413491358716.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 2,276
To the best of my knowledge ,no "kit" is available to swap coils onto a CJ.

I have seen a (IIRC) Black Diamond coil conversion kit for YJ's years ago, but I do not recall seeing one for CJ's. Not to say it couldn't be adapted with some fab skills, but it would definitely take some thought.

At a quick glance, I would not use that particular example as a source to copy from. If you look at the front view, the panhard bar is coming across from the passenger side frame rail to the driver's side of the axle. Unless it is a passenger side drive, that setup would cause some CRAZY bump steer, especially given the angle that the panhard is at.

Now, I understand you were just using it as food for thought, but...just in case anyone figured they'd copy/adapt that setup into their own, I would throw that out there.

:chug: y'all.

Thanks guys, note taken scooter. I also found the yj kit and someone else for later jeeps. Fab work is not impossible, but I am looking for bolt on. If a SOA was easy well, anyways know im back to ALCAN springs with the orbits. Didnt post this originally but alcan has zero negative reviews. A few folks on here have commented on them and I really like the input they require when making your own custom set so to speak. Now shocks? Alcan would probably know in that department too. I'm years away from doing this unless someone is willing to help the needy. I'm also feeling sick, lol. My local usually has a fund at work where we collect money weekly called "Sick and Needy". Also have check pool, 50/50 is where we collect a jobwide pot and winner takes 50 % and 50% goes into fund for wives and family of fallen brothers and sisters. Theres more but I'm getting off subject. Again, thanks for the input and corrective insight as well.

1) I don't think you have the horses to roll 35s. and as your profile is not filled out I don't even know what drive train you have.

2) this looks as stable as a brick on a roller skate. IMHO.

3 and 4 link suspensions give great articulation and crummy road manners. If you are looking for a low speed, 1st gear, trailer queen, this may be the best way to go.:D

My drivetrain is all original. 86 , 258 with automatically tranny (999). 300 transfer case with the 30 up front and 44 outback. Factory gears im sure as I barely have the power to roll the 33x12.5x15's now. I plan on a rebuilding of all including the 4.0 head and mpi on the 4.2, as well as other improvements . lowrange lit for the 300 and gears in the neighborhood of 456? Ox lockers seem like the way I want to go. Alot of work mentioned above and even more money, thats why its still on the 3" body lift😦. I know I had my profile filled out because I have been scolded once already. I always know IOport will shoot from the hip! I promise I will get on the laptop and fill my info out so y'all know what I'm looking at. Perhaps the 34x9.5 or 10.5? wont weigh as much, lol and stay inside the fenderwell.

Tdk also offers a cj frame that is hybrid to accept a tj suspension

:)
Tough to link a CJ correctly with a stock frame......without cutting it up and making it into a buggy.... the room is just not there..........Good off road not so on the street.

Alcan, Deaver makes some pretty good leaf springs..........but don't think you will have a stock off the shelf spring that will work good off road and still complement the ride on the street.....in order to get the spring rates correct , one should first have the vehicle totally loaded as it will be used and weigh each corner.......... anything else is a guess!
Proper placement of the hangers and getting the correct shackle angle is important. Shackle reversal I believe is overstated and not for everyone. If the leaves are correctly built and installed they will work just fine.

Big tires are of really no consequence.........ground clearance yes. More power to turn them.... yes. More clearance everywhere ...Yes. More Braking power to stop...yes. Larger axles , joints to make the axles survive due to the higher shock loads brought on by the larger tires is all part of the upgrade package..........in order to use larger brakes one must go to a larger wheel size like 17" to be able to use a larger diameter rotor and caliper package that has the ability to create higher brake torque stopping power...........

Reevaluate what you need and want.

:D:D:D:D

Very factual and to the point, my kinda read. Problem, I dont REALLY need the CJ7 but REALLY wanted it. I like alcan, deaver is new to me. My poor factory drum brakes has a difficult time stopping the 33's now. Current setup wouldn't pull 35's if the rest could hold it, lol. My mother in law just had a bad heart attack and my daughter just crashed her ride. Yes, its the same one. So I have re-evaluated my needs and for now " Nelly" has to wait. I can't cut my frame up so thats out. No defacing the jeep. Seriously ,thanks guys for your wisdom. I'm still here ,just different places all at once, lol.
717cbad0aa538ea38e1ef961d8e17c33.jpg
b7e0b2bd848fe8dd98102aa875eb11ee.jpg
7b3786690693bdd83531f6c847b30f13.jpg
7f84ba15dd40c8c5b4aebacd77afc46f.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks