Clutch Clutch

Clutch Clutch

Dads old cj

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 cj7 4 cylinder
I have a1980 CJ7 with the 2.5 Pontiac engine. The issue is the hydraulic clutch. The slave cylinder is pushing on the throw out bearing, which is wearing it out. According to the factory service manual there’s no adjustment for that. Does anyone have a fix for this issue?
Thanks

I don't mean to sound like a jack wagon but a whole new clutch setup.

The slave cylinder is supposed to press on the throw out bearing and then the pressure plate and so forth. If it's wearing out then it needs to be replaced

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Understood that the throw out bearing rides on the fingers of the pressure plate when the clutch is depressed otherwise shifting would be impossible. My issue is the the bearing is riding on it when the clutch is disengaged. The entire clutch assembly and slave cylinder are brand new. The clutch has 50 miles on it, and the bearing is squeezing. Now what?

In that case is it the right clutch? What transmission are you running

This is a long shot possible remedy to your issue. I do remember that, in some applications, it is possible to mount the clutch fork incorrectly causing the symptom that you have. Good luck solving your issue.

The clutch fork is new and mounted correctly. I have the factory service manual as well. Everything is correct. I’ve studied it at nauseam. I can see through the clutch fork access with it running the bearing is spinning, move the clutch fork an 1/8 inch and the bearing stops spinning.

How worn out is ur clutch return spring

I am sure you’ve done an exhaustive investigation and hate having to take things back apart. If you have positively ruled out any external issue to include master and slave cylinder compatibility and amount of rod travel, I would recommend taking things back apart and triple check your work. Check for a sticking throw out bearing and compare its lenghth (spacing) with the old one. They sell them in different spacings. Check for improper clutch fork to throw out bearing engagement. If you have an externally mounted slave cylinder, you could carefully space it out.

Thanks for the info. The bearing slide nicely on the input shaft when the transmission was sitting on the floor.
The throw out bearing was an exact match to what I replaced. The fork was also a perfect match. The slave cylinder was correct as well. Unfortunately even if I spaced the slave cylinder out slightly, the plunger inside continues to travel and push the fork. The factory service manual even states there is no provision for any adjustment.
Thanks.

You have ruled out incorrect components, binding/sticky throwout bearing on the input shaft retainer sleeve, and your application does not use a fork return spring. I am assuming you have a good clutch pedal feel and the clutch engagement/disengagement is good relative to clutch pedal travel.

Fully depress the clutch pedal three times with the engine off and transmission in neutral.

Separate your slave cylinder from the belhousing without disconnecting any hydraulic hoses.

Keep your transmission in neutral, bypass your neutral safety start circuit and start your engine.

Does your thowout bearing still spin due to contact with the diaphragm spring fingers?

That sounds like an interesting test.
I’ll just remove the slave cylinder push rod for this test. My guess is without the push rod pushing on the fork , it’ll work fine. All I need is a 1/16 “ to make it work. I’ll try to post s as picture of what the manual shows a well.
THANKS

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom