Clutch Clutch fork

Clutch Clutch fork

melvin

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 cj7, amc150
I have an 84 CJ7 with the amc 2.5 and T4. I had to swap my transmission so while it was apart, I decided to remove the bell housing and clutch to change the rear main seal. I am having trouble reassembling. The clutch fork did not have a return spring that I could tell due to all the gunk, I may have lost it. I searched the number on the bell housing which came back from a 87-89 wrangler. That fork used is similar but not identical. It uses a return spring around the end of the slave cylinder ball which will not work on mine because the slave has a straight shaft. I don't see how the fork will return without a spring and do not want to reinstall without knowing. Could anyone help? Do I need a return spring? What or where do I find it? I've googled everything and am having not luck.

PXL_20220408_185850222 (1).jpg

That spring is there to keep the fork from rattling afrer you take your foot off the clutch pedal. If you can adapt and mount one externally, you are good to go.

:tu: I would also add and very important is that it pulls the fork away from the pressure plate so that the throw out bearing does not contact the pressure plate unless the pedal is depress as that would cause premature bearing wear. Make sure you set the bearing to PP gap correctly... :)

Yes, you need the spring.
Also, put a good dab of grease on the fork's pivot ball.

I assumed there should have been a spring but I can not find any information regarding one for this jeep. Some one on another site said his manual does not call for one, but I agree, if there isnt one, the bearing will wear prematurely. I had no noise prior to dismantling and I can not see where a spring would be located. Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

my slave is inside the bell housing. There are no holes for a spring in the clutch fork. can I drill through the bell housing and the clutch fork to add a spring? I never did anything this in depth so I am a little nervous. Will anything interfere with the integrety of the clutch?

From everything I have read or found that particular setup does not use a spring but that makes me uncomfortable.
Here is something similar.

crs2.JPG

I would still fab one.

It would be best if you would attach actual pics. of your setup.

I looked up your bellhousing, and your slave cylinder is externally mounted. However, your clutch fork does not have the protrusion outside of the bellhousing. You cannot readily mount a spring as a result. I want to think your application cleverly or carelessly eliminated the need for a spring. I would mock up everything and check for fork looseness. This could be tricky to do. Good luck.

Proceed with confidence, Melvin. I don’t think you need this spring.

hindsight is 20/20 and yes, I know that I should have marked them. Can anyone tell me which bolts go where? I am installing the transmission by myself and don't have the stamina to hold the transmission in place and try bolts in different holes. Its the t4 into a 2.5 amc

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks