Cj5 Exhaust question

Cj5 Exhaust question

Jcminto

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'77 CJ5 - 4.2L I6, T18,
Dana 44 rear, 30 front,
Good day all, its been a while I hope everyone have been out doors off and top down enjoying the summer!

I am working on a 77 CJ5 and it currently has the 6 into 2 headers on it that go into cherry bomb style mufflers and I would run something a little quieter. So the question I have is do I have an exhaust made that collects the two into a one and then off to a muffler and tailpipe? or just order an OEM manifold and complete stock exhaust system?

I'm going to be using OEM manifold with pretty much stock exhaust system I believe.

So do you think it's worth getting a manifold? AMD a complete new exhaust?

I was going to take a look tomorrow and explore the possibility of getting a universal 2 into 1 muffler and making that work but I am unsure if that is a viable option.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I have an 84 and installing a 258 out of an 85. I'm not really sure how hard it would be to get an OEM manifold for a 77. All I know is I want a quiet exhaust. I had to find a manifold which was quite easy for a 85. It all depends on what you want.

Quiet is want I'm aiming for, I have a line on a used one from a part sourcing website should hear something tomorrow.

Or can buy them new but they take weeks to come in, they are around $300 plus and I'm not sure of the quality.

That's why I was torn between all that or just taking the straight pipes into a 2 into 1 muffler.

I found mine on line at a used jeep bone yard and shipping included for $125 in great condition The new one might be Chinee. Watch out for that !

Ya thats what I figured. I'll wait for the parts recycling places to open tomorrow I guess. Not many options up here but I will try.

The other thing is I can buy a new muffler and tail pipe but can't seem to find a lead pipe anywhere? Is it odd that they sell everything but that?

A mufler shop should be able to do everything from manifold to tail pipe. That is my plan. That is what I did 25 years ago.

A mufler shop should be able to do everything from manifold to tail pipe. That is my plan. That is what I did 25 years ago.

I am having mine done right now, Its costing 400.00 from headers all the way back.

I am having mine done right now, Its costing 400.00 from headers all the way back.

Decided to dig out my 1993 MidasMuffler shop receip. :) Muffler $ 55. Exhaust pipe $50. Tail pipe $30. Catalytic Converter $200. Clamps $12. Parts labor and taxes total 346.80. Life time. Tested that out 10 years later. Pallets on road destroyed mufler. Went back and to my surprise "FREE". Only problem is my Midas guy closed up and went out of business. :(. Anyone know if Midas is still in business ?

Lol, no chain muffler shops up here, but I found a garage that says $500 for the complete job if I supply the manifold.

It's kinda a bunmer that I can get all the other pieces pre made but not the lead pipe. I would gladly put it all together myself.

Lol, no chain muffler shops up here, but I found a garage that says $500 for the complete job if I supply the manifold.

It's kinda a bunmer that I can get all the other pieces pre made but not the lead pipe. I would gladly put it all together myself.

Saw one on Flea-bay a little while back cheap, but not looking good. Was on there for several months.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks