Cj5 exhaust fumes

Cj5 exhaust fumes

Chadpcb

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Cj5goldeneagle78
I recently purchased my 78 CJ5 with 304v8 I have been unsuccessful in finding why the fumes are so bad any suggestions? My first post thanks

Where does your exhaust come out? The best place is behind the rear tire at an angle. If it comes out ahead of the tire, or straight out the back, you will get fumes in the cab. Especially if you have a soft top, or are running topless. By going out behind the rear tire about in the middle of the tread, there is a kind of scavenging effect, and it puts the exhaust out behind you.

It has straight pipes running out the the back. My opinion is the same but have not got anyone that I have asked say yeah that's it. Thanks for reply!

Exhaust on a CJ, should exit behind the rear wheel.
Also-Check your fuel mix, as it sounds like you are run'n super rich.
LG

It has straight pipes running out the the back. My opinion is the same but have not got anyone that I have asked say yeah that's it. Thanks for reply!
Now you have 2 experienced members tell you.

I recently purchased my 78 CJ5 with 304v8 I have been unsuccessful in finding why the fumes are so bad any suggestions? My first post thanks

When I bought mine, the exhausts ran straight out the rear and driving with the top off was all but impossible. The fumes were so bad it burned my eyes. As the others have stated, turning them out behind the rear tires fixed it. Now I get virtually zero exhaust.

x100 on running exhaust at an angle out behind the rear tire.

Aerodynamics pulls air from behind the vehicle and into the cab if there's a way for it to get in there. I remember riding in the back of my grandmother's Astro van with the rear windows cracked (no a/c), and the exhaust would about kill us kids in the back seat.

Check under your rig to make sure you don't have any holes/cancer in the tubes/muffler(s).

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks