trmlmm

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 cj5 4.2 I6 258.
Trans-B.W. T3
Tcase-stock
Diffs-stock
hey guys new to this site i have some questions about putting a bigger motor in my 1980 CJ5 i want to put something thats fuel injected the carb is having problems crawling and mudding due to rough terrain. i can get a 1995 chevy 350 5.7 1500 its tbi and i wanted to know what should i do to fix this problem off roading and crawling what would be the best motor or plan to make my cj better on the trail its strictly an offroad toy

would appreciate all advice

Might not want a 1995 motor. 1995 was the transition year from OBD I to OBD II computers. I have a 1995 4.3ltr TBI motor with OBD I. I had a hard time trying to find a code scanner that would read the codes. Found only one.

any fuel injection is going to be waaay better than any carb.
I have tbi (OBD 1) on my 350 and it's worked great for offroading.
IMO OBD1 will be easier to wire up as the computer doesn't use as much info to run the engine.

any fuel injection is going to be waaay better than any carb.
I have tbi (OBD 1) on my 350 and it's worked great for offroading.
IMO OBD1 will be easier to wire up as the computer doesn't use as much info to run the engine.

^This^ on all levels.

Unless you're pretty experienced with engine swaps or working on EFI engines, I would go with an OBD1 EFI. They are very simple and user friendly...pretty much like a carbureted engine with a few more wires, but much smoother running.

thanks guys really appreciate it helps alot with what im working on i rebuilt the old 4.2 but just seemed to have alot of problems and i practically got given this 350 for so cheap, my next question is how well is the stock tranyy and tcas for working with that motor what other mods am i going to need to buy or do to make this all work smoothly? i seen a bunch of kits for motor mounts and adapter plates for the engine and tranny. is that i good idea or should i do something else i would really appreciate the help guys

thanks travis.

I was looking todothe same thing did a lot of investigation into tuis and went wit a 85 tpi out of a corvette and got a hold of larry's elec for a plug and play harness the thing runs great the only thing I had to do was put a surge tank on the jeep but it turned out better then I had amaginened.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks