Suspension CJ-YJ Spring Convesion

Rustkill

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ7 258 engine.
CJ --YJ spring conversion questions please.

I have looked at a few threads, so far most are over 10 years old. That I have read so far.

I am not a mechanic and stupid to boot.

I have an 85 CJ I am going to restore into an every day driver. I got the Jeep in 1989 so I have owned it for a very long time. When I say restore, I am going take it apart and future proof it from rust and put back so its solid. Will have to learn a lot. runs great now.

The spring conversion worth it? Jeep will only be driven on the road no off road stuff

I have read the conversion gives a better ride. True? way better? Still swap if not off road.

Would the conversion add value or take away value if trying to restore? Meaning would a Jeep purest say I made a big mistake. Or does the improvement outweigh the snobbery? When I die, I want people to be happy to own my jeep!

Will the spring swap lift the Jeep on its on? If so, how much? I am okay with a small amount but I don’t want to add much lift. I would not add a lift kit. Not into red-necking it up (not trying to offend anyone) Just not into big tires and stuff

Any company that sells a kit to check out? I guess I could piece it out but need to learn more so I don’t buy the wrong things.

Would need 4 YJ springs, correct? would not come in the kit? Can they be found new? The rear ones just fit the CJ but the fronts will need new parts?
There is lot more I need to read and understand.

I have also read that it only changes a small amount and is not be worth it on my year model? Don’t want to get crazy and change out axles and stuff so maybe it’s not worth the worry and I just answered my own question?

Swapping the springs pretty easy nothing crazy? don’t have to change lots of other things to fit?

Any video on YouTube or elsewhere to check out?

What am I missing? to watch out for?

Other questions I should be asking?

Or forget the whole thing ?

Thanks for the help.

Scott

One could get the necessary hangers, plates, u-bolts and stock YJ springs (which lift it +/- 1" over stock) and be pretty happy with a street only application. When I did mine 10+ years ago,OME only did 2 1/2", but it was offered in 3 different spring rates.

again thanks for the answers, everyone. I think I like the cheap option of getting the kit and buying a good-quality spring. but will read more. I am not off-roading at all. I don't believe a need to do crazy upgrades. I just want to make simple smart and practical upgrades.

You can save money on the springs but spend it for a quality set of shocks. A cheap set of shocks will can make it seam like you wasted your money all around. Good luck

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I wonder if ome makes a standard spring or only lift

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk
Look at Alcan Spring, spendy but if I ever break what I have I'm getting the next springs from there.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks