CJ Model Year Confirmation

CJ Model Year Confirmation

AtlantaHank

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Two 1969 CJ5s
Greetings, first time post as I just purchased two CJ5s. One has a VIN of 8305017 + serial number that decodes to a V6, left hand drive and the second VIN is 8505025 + serial number that decodes to a 4 cylinder right-hand drive. My question is how do you verify the year of these vehicles? I was told that they were both 1969s; however, I'd like to confirm. Thanks

VIN Numbers for 1962 to 1971 Jeep
Character 1st & 2nd 57 = Universal
81 = Universal CJ3b
83 = Universal CJ5
84 = Universal CJ6
85 = Universal DJ-6
86 = Universal DJ-6
87 = Jeepster C101 Chassis Code 3rd & 4th 01 = Convertible (Jeepster)
02 = Commando Convertible (Jeepster)
04 = Fire Engine
05 = Open Body
10 = Open Body (Universal Diesel)
22 = Tuxedo Park Park Mark IV
23 = Fire Truck (Universal)
34 = Open Body (Universal CJ3b)
54 = Open Body (Universal CJ5)
55 = Open Body (Universal CJ5 Diesel)
74 = Open Body (Universal CJ6)
75 = Open Body (Universal CJ6 Diesel) Body Style 5th A = V6-225
C = Canadian Built
F = Station Wagon (Jeepster)
H = Pick-up (Jeepster)
0 = Universal (Disregard)
0 = Roadster Open Body (Jeepster)
S = Smog (Universal)
8 = Universal Body Style – Special Model Code 6th 1 = Left Hand Drive
2 = Right Hand Drive
3 = LDH California, Fuel Evap Control Drive Code 7th 4 = F4-134 without Emission
5 = F4-134 with Emission
6 = V6-225 without Emission
7 = V6-225 with Emission Engine Code 8th – 13th ###### SSN
(Sequential Serial Number)

Also this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...dzGbohwsBuOmLqcgaB9KQg&bvm=bv.146094739,d.amc

Although this is not definitive. Occasionally the production year does not match the "title year". If unsold in the production year, they were often rolled over to the next model year. Mine was built at the end of 1955 but not sold and titled as a 1956. One of the advantages of NOT changing body styles.

The Vin number is still the vin. number. Which is the year it was built. No need in making this any harder than necessary, if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's probably a duck.

No way to tell model YEAR by vin on the early CJ5's other than comparing serial numbers to known year of other jeeps with close numbers. I have seen so many 1967-68 CJ5's that where titled as 1969-1970, etc.
They where sold like farm equipment on bill of sale and titled the same way in some states. Not trying to cause trouble just want to keep the info accurate. mike

You are probably correct, I'm just trying to keep out as much "it could possibly be this" confusion out as much as possible. I'm amazed that the year of manufacture isn't part of the Vin. number. Learn something new every day.

Yes HH, you are correct in trying to keep it simple. I think they changed the vin to the longer number that included the year in 1972 .I had a problem with my insurance company not liking the short vin number on my 1971.
The other thing that drives me crazy is how many early jeeps have been "fubared" to where it's hard to tell by just looking. Mix and match fenders,hood,w/s , tub,frame. Not saying there is anything wrong with putting one together just buyer beware.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks