1975 Jeep CJ5, 304 V8
1971 Dodge Charger SE, 440 V8
1974 Dodge W200 Powerwagon, LA 360, 4-Speed
1969 MGB
2001 Acura CL
1985 Corvette
1982 Camaro Z28
Hello,

Is there any way to tell (from the manufacturers tag/VIN tag), which model (Base, Renegade, Golden Eagle, Levi Edition’s, etc) that a particular Jeep CJ5 was built/sold as?

I have owned two (a ‘75 and ‘79) CJ5 Jeeps for many years, but never saw them in “original” as-sold condition. They had both been repainted, etc.

Thanks

Not that I’m aware of..... I think the best you can do is body and trim color...... Many of the packages were dealer added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes on the 79 Silver Anniversary and some other early models.
The SA was the only CJ that used paint code 8C found on the vin tag.
The 71 Renegade 2 paint code 999, only CJ that year with a fixed rear panel and rear mounted spare tire also different gauge configuration.
CJ 5 Tuxedo Park Park you could ID by the vin
All the new CJs from 72 and up except the 79 SA is just appearance packages from the factory.

Last edited:
Appreciate the replies. Good to know.

I sort of figured that it was hit-or-miss with regard to that info, as I didn’t find anything useful searching the Internet.

Even the few clues provided help. I doubt my ‘79 was a “Silver Anniversary” though it has Silver/Gray paint which (inside the tub, etc) appears original. Seems my ‘75 had “Levi Edition” tags on the seats, but who knows?

I had just wondered if my Jeeps (both of which I purchased used in the 1990’s) were Base models or had received the additional trim and badge options.

Often when you are looking for parts from online autoparts store websites, there will be a pick-box asking which model, “Base”, “Renegade”, etc. I usually just choose “Base” but it always made me wonder...

Thanks

You can’t even go by whether the dash has a clock and tach........ they were usually added with the Renegade, and almost always with the Loredo and Limited, but not always. And sometimes added to the base model...... Not to mention the odds the dash was swapped at some point.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks