CJ-7 with Chevy 350

CJ-7 with Chevy 350

Scrambler GR3

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 Scrambler 4.2, T-176, D-300, Custom Dana 489 (rear) w/ elocker, 4.10 gears, Dana 30 (front) w/ elocker and 4.10 gears, 4-5" lift, Toyo Open Country 35x13.5x15 tires

'84 CJ-7 Chevy 350, TH350, D300, stock 3.54 gears, 33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich KM2
I am currently doing a frame-off of a 1984 CJ7. I have the body off the frame and I have removed the engine. I had planned on rebuilding the engine; however, the engine had a leak in the head gasket and water in the cylinder rusted the block and, according to the machine shop, it is no longer any good. Yes, I learned a lesson. The engine set for about three or four years without running and I was pretty sure it had a bad head gasket. I guess I learned what "ran when parked" can mean. Anyway, I am now weighing different options. I could get another carbureted engine (mid 70's to 1987) because I already have a Holley Throttle Body set up for it along with an intake manifold and rebuild it, or I am considering installing a LS engine.

If anyone has done an LS engine swap into a CJ7, or if anyone knows of any posts where someone has detailed the process, I would appreciate any assistance or guidance. I understand I should be able to use the engine mounts that were used for the 350.

I have attached a picture of the frame with the original 350 engine in it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Original Drive Train 1.jpg
    Original Drive Train 1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 10
I jerked the I6 engine in my CJ7 and installed a SBC 350 and love it. Parts everywhere, endless customization options, easy and plentiful adaptors where needed, etc. I'm sure the LS swap is just as easy. I bought a Crate engine that has multi-port EFI and also installed a Chevy trans to bolt right up. Just a set of headers, an adaptor for the Dana 300, and different length drive shafts. Easy-peasy. Even made my own motor mount adaptors for it.

I don't believe you can use the SBC engine mounts with an LS. Others chime in here, but my son and I did an LS swap in an old Chevy Apache P/U that had a SBC 350 and the 350 mounts wouldn't work.

I jerked the I6 engine in my CJ7 and installed a SBC 350 and love it. Parts everywhere, endless customization options, easy and plentiful adaptors where needed, etc. I'm sure the LS swap is just as easy. I bought a Crate engine that has multi-port EFI and also installed a Chevy trans to bolt right up. Just a set of headers, an adaptor for the Dana 300, and different length drive shafts. Easy-peasy. Even made my own motor mount adaptors for it.

I don't believe you can use the SBC engine mounts with an LS. Others chime in here, but my son and I did an LS swap in an old Chevy Apache P/U that had a SBC 350 and the 350 mounts wouldn't work.
I believe NOVAK has adapters so I can use the original engine mount. The Jeep was already set up for a 350, so I should be able to use those mounts with the NOVAK adapters. Although I don't know. That's why I'm looking for assistance.

I used these from speed engineering.

https://speed-engineering.com/colle...motor-mounts-ls-conversion-swaps-universal-m2

All in all, I think the LS conversation is easy. Don't get me wrong I had to overcome plenty of issues to get mine right. However, it was well worth it. Problem is that you'll need to decide on a course of action and stick to it. It is very easy to get sidetracked or confused because of all the different configurations that can be done. I went with the 5.3, drive by cable, TH350. Kept it 4WD; this created clearance issues with the front drive shaft. Pro Tip: if you get more "go" you'll need more "whoa". I also did the TSM read disc upgrade. If you are bored start here on page 7.

https://jeep-cj.com/community/threads/3rd-time-down-the-rabbit-hole.61116/page-7

If you are really bored read the whole thing.

Love this line: if you get more "go" you'll need more "whoa"

Love this line: if you get more "go" you'll need more "whoa"
Kinda why I just went from 4cylinder AMC 150 to AMC 6cylinder 258 with Sniper EFI. Didn’t have to change out everything. Even my drive shafts were reused. Brakes still stop me.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks