Misc. CJ-5 Right Hand Drive in Japan

Yamada CJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
None
Hello members, I've just join this cool Jeep community. I'm a Japanese. I found a nice CJ5 for sale in the used car market in Japan. The CJ5 was privately imported to Japan and registered in 1981,
4.2l engine and right hand drive, I guess it was imported from UK or Australia. I'd like to buy it but I'm worried about parts availability and supply because
it's a right hand drive Jeep. Some Jeep experts in Japan said me that I should not buy it. I guess it would be very difficult to maintain, because need to get unique parts for RHD Jeep (since LHD Jeep is majority).
I'm a complete beginner to Jeep, never driven and never owned. But I really like this CJ5...I'd very much appreciate if someone has experience
to own the RHD CJ5 and give me advice about how to get parts, and maintain.

Solution
Hello members, I've just join this cool Jeep community. I'm a Japanese. I found a nice CJ-5 for sale in the used car market in Japan. The CJ-5 was privately imported to Japan and registered in 1981,
4.2l engine and right hand drive, I guess it was imported from UK or Australia. I'd like to buy it but I'm worried about parts availability and supply because
it's a right hand drive Jeep. Some Jeep experts in Japan said me that I should not buy it. I guess it would be very difficult to maintain, because need to get unique parts for RHD Jeep (since LHD Jeep is majority).
I'm a complete beginner to Jeep, never driven and never owned. But I really like this CJ-5...I'd very much appreciate if someone has experience
to own the...
Hello @Manic Mechanic, Thank you for your feedback on the photos.! That encourages me a lot since I also need to convince my wife to buy this classic Jeep...I can say "I've got a good feedback from a Jeep expert in the US!" You are very helpful and kind. And thank you for your CJ7 photo! It's really cool!! You have M.A.S.H on the engine hood!! I watched the TV series when I was a teenager...still remember it well.

When I bought my Jeep new almost 40 years ago it came with AMC keys that looked just like GM keys but made with AMC logo with AMC on them. The GM gut must have helped his brother at AMC. :punk:

I looked at all your pictures and it shows typical oil seapage of a CJ except for what @Manic Mechanic mentioned.
It does have some good aftermarket and new items (MSD Blaster 2 coil, starter, valve cover, brake hoses etc).
As for what parts does AMC Jeep use from who??? Let's just say a lot... Ford, Chrysler and GM. Many parts can be purchased for different vehicles that work or are interchangeable for CJs.

Hello @CJ, Thank you so much for your feedback! I found a mechanic who has experiences for fixing old cars. I think he can look after the CJ5 since he owns old Mitsubishi Jeep for himself. I'll take the CJ5 to his garage when I got it, I'll tell him your helpful feedback! Thank you again!;)

Keep us posted

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

Hello everyone, I've got some information about difference between LHD / RHD CJ7. The heater box, the steering linkage, the mirror , wiper motor, wiper arms are different ...I guess CJ5 would be the same...
And I've checked the availability of the steering linkage for RHD in postal jeep parts site, there is no such things...I think this kind of parts would be very difficult to get....

Linkage shouldn't be a problem as a lot of the aftermarket stuff is universal and beefier.

Just a quick cursory look on the internet I found numerous steering parts for RHD CJs. As Manic states, most are universal (ball joints the same, pitman arm the same, drag link, stabilizer, swap a tie rod around, etc). I see Crown offers a RHD steering box, and other parts all over eBay. Of course these type parts, once found and installed, will last years and many miles (kilometers:)), so no need to source them repeatedly.

Yours being so low mileage you shouldn't have an issue for a while. Mine was used and abused for years and I just replaced mine a few years ago

Dear @Manic Mechanic, Dear @TSB8C,
Thank you so much for your advice and research! very encouraging for me to try to buy the vintage Jeep.
This forum is (you guys are) very helpful, like a family.:giggle: The odometer shows low mileage, however they said it's unknown.
I guess the meter has replaced...:unsure: since this CJ5 is over 40 years old. I'll keep updating the progress!

When are you going to test drive the Jeep ? That’s going to give you a lot of information when you do that.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks