Engine Chevy LS in CJ-7

Engine Chevy LS in CJ-7

Scrambler GR3

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 Scrambler 4.2, T-176, D-300, Custom Dana 489 (rear) w/ elocker, 4.10 gears, Dana 30 (front) w/ elocker and 4.10 gears, 4-5" lift, Toyo Open Country 35x13.5x15 tires

'84 CJ-7 Chevy 350, TH350, D300, stock 3.54 gears, 33x12.5x15 BF Goodrich KM2
I am in the process or doing a frame-off of my 1984 CJ7. The Jeep has a Chevy 350 engine and I removed the engine and was planning on rebuilding it. I disassembled the engine and the machine shop said it was bad. Apparently the head gasket leaked and the water that got into the cylinders rusted as it sat for a few years. Anyway, I am weighing different options. I could find another 350 and tear it down and rebuild it, get a running 350 or I am considering doing putting an LS engine in it. If anyone has done a LS install in a CJ7 or if there are any posts where they detail the process I would appreciate any input, or comments. I have attached a picture of the frame with the 350 in it. Thanks.

Attachments

• Original Drive Train 1.jpg
    Original Drive Train 1.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 7
I believe I have found a donor vehicle. It's a 2002 Tahoe. The transmission is bad and the owner is parting out the vehicle. The engine is running, so I can see it running and I can get everything I need. It is drive by wire so I will have to convert that in my CJ. I also found out I will need an output shaft adapter for my 700r4 transmission and a different flywheel. I'm starting to understand what I am getting myself into.

You can put a LS in anything. While they're slightly more complicated than the old 350 but once you're done you will be nothing but happy with it.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I put a 350 with 700R4 in mine. Did get an adaptor to mate the 700R4 to the Dana300 transfer case. My 350 came with the flywheel for an auto trans. You would need a different one if it came from a donor with manual. If doing drive-by-wire, that's easy - just a mount for the electronic gas pedal. All the rest is wiring. Since you already have a 350 now, the radiator, motor mounts, and exhaust can be re-used. For an LS swap, you'll need a different radiator and motor mounts, or adaptors, along with new exhaust headers or manifolds. LS is a great swap, but more costly if you already have the 350 stuff in place. My 350 is rated at 420 HP (similar to an LS), is EFI, and works great.

Son and I did do an LS swap in an old Apache P/U. We used a 4L60E transmission and the truck was 2WD. Very good motor and easily adaptable into almost anything if you don't mind getting all the stuff you need. Was quite pleased in the end with that as well.

I put a 350 with 700R4 in mine. Did get an adaptor to mate the 700R4 to the Dana300 transfer case. My 350 came with the flywheel for an auto trans. You would need a different one if it came from a donor with manual. If doing drive-by-wire, that's easy - just a mount for the electronic gas pedal. All the rest is wiring. Since you already have a 350 now, the radiator, motor mounts, and exhaust can be re-used. For an LS swap, you'll need a different radiator and motor mounts, or adaptors, along with new exhaust headers or manifolds. LS is a great swap, but more costly if you already have the 350 stuff in place. My 350 is rated at 420 HP (similar to an LS), is EFI, and works great.

Son and I did do an LS swap in an old Apache P/U. We used a 4L60E transmission and the truck was 2WD. Very good motor and easily adaptable into almost anything if you don't mind getting all the stuff you need. Was quite pleased in the end with that as well.
Yes. I am in the process of not only getting everything lined up, I have to educate myself. It does not seem complicated, just rather involved. I just found out yesterday I will need an output shaft adapter. I have a 700r4 and the stock output shaft apparently is not long enough. I am warily exited about the project.

Novak hooked me up with the adaptor for the 700R4 as well as a twin-stick kit for the Dana300. Easy-peasy.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom