chevy 350 exaust clearance problem

chevy 350 exaust clearance problem

chuck35f

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1960 CJ5, Chevy 350, m-21 trans, Dana 20, Dana 44, and 30. Chevy power steering. 6 point roll cage, front receiver bumper.
I have a 1960 CJ5 with a chevy 350, the drivers side exhaust currently comes into the lower rear wheel well. It is a hooker style exhaust, and it raps around the steering, so I cannot just get one that cuts in closer. Has anybody had this problem before?
Chuck

IMHO you should try and use block huggers and not come outside the frame rail with the headers

I have done a few and have never had any clearance issues

I have a 83 so its probaly a little different but I have used both the Hedman and the block hugger. For me the block hugger worked better as the hedman made getting to the plugs a PITA.
I got both sets form summit racing.

All I can say is, This place is great, you all rock. Now for maybe an odd question, have you ever been driving and it feels like something may be grinding even though you cannot hear it? I guess saying it is a strange vibration coming through the shifter when driving, but no noises that sound strange at all, other than a squeek that I later determined to be the passenger seat mount bolt that has now been tightened. I think I am going to change all the fluids in the entire jeep as I have no idea when the last time this was done, and I was going to filter them as I drained them so I could see what the old fluids are hiding in them, ie metal shavings. any other ideas there?
Chuck

~~have you ever been driving and it feels like something may be grinding even though you cannot hear it?~~
Chuck... :) You have a 1960 CJ with who knows what done to it and in it... :) You'll probably, hear, feel and sense things like that until you get rid of it. :)

The best advice I can tell you is to drive it, enjoy it, maintain it and have a blast. Little noises and such are going to show up all the time!

Thanks, I just have this sinking vision of being stuck on the side of the road some where.... I do feel good that I have the temp sensor(I think it is off, unless there is no thermostat in it) the oil pressure gage, the tac(again, I think it is off a little, and a fuel gage( I think it is close) working. I have also made my own turn signals, rebuilt the light switch, and several other things to it in the three weeks that I have had it. I don't think that is to bad for a start.
Again, CJ, thank you for all your help, I only hope that I may be able to repay the favor in the future.
Chuck

The beauty of owning a CJ is it's simplistic durability, it's massive amount of aftermarket parts base and the amount of readily available items that have been 'swapped' into them over the years. Your CJ is a perfect example of this, you have a SBC in a 1960 Jeep! :)

The 'simplistic durability' aspect makes life pretty good with a CJ... Break a rear drive shaft, limp home in 4 wd and repair it. Blow a radiator hose, loosen the radiator cap, tape it together and limp on home. Have a wheel bearing go out, drive slow, don't overheat the bearing and limp on home - they are damn tough and over engineered - just change it ou and your good to go!

Your well on your way to fixing all the 'little' things that usually get overlooked but are necessary for your CJ. Good job!

Chuck
changing all the fluids is a really good idea you never know what you will find.(mine had ATF in the tc instead if 90w) as for the feeling that something is grinding check the wheel bearing, TC, pinion bearings, U-joints, ect. just jack it up and start turning things by hand to see if everything fells smooth or not. But as CJ said these are old Jeeps that make strange sounds and vibrations sometimes. You just learn to live with what you can't fix.

Thank you all again. Today at work I was talking to a guy, and I showed him a picture, I told him that the roll cage was made by "runch" his face lit up and he said you have a good roll cage, have any of you heard of him, I guess he makes all kinds of off road custom stuff. he made my bumper as well.
OK I guess it time to go change my cj's blood. snot and sweat glands. Talk to ya all real soon.
Chuck

Ok I looked real quick on ebay, and I found some block huggers there, I just typed in block huggers, and there were several results for a SBC, the ones at summit are $189, these from $51-$129, well at least the ones I looked at, what are your thoughts on these if you all do not mind taking a look at them. I think the exhaust coming through the well looks REALLY stupid, as well as killing my clearance. the rest of the exhaust I can have done be a local shop, if you are ever in Cleveland and need some exhaust work done I would only take it to "mufflers for less" The place is fast, and priced to compete, I took me honda civic there and they did the exhaust from the cat back for less than I could buy the parts from Auto-zone for. They have all the bending machines there. I figure $147 for that civic exaust was a darn good deal. The only rules are you have to wait while they work on your car, mine took about an hour, and no profanity in the waiting room. The owner would rather not have your business then listen to rude and inconsiderate people. It is truly a business that holds high standards, I mention this place around Cleveland and anyone that has heard of it that I have met agrees with mine Lil spiel about it.
Anyways it is a really good place to do business, and they will make your exhaust however you want it if you want it over sized I believe it is $10 per 1/4" so for my civic I had it 1/2" over size for that $147.
OK I'll shut up now, let me know what you think about the Ebay huggers.
Chuck

Depends on how you plan to route the exhaust. Headers out the fender wells? Easy-peasy. Not my personal preference, but quite easy with ready-made parts. Hedman headers #69510 for the cheaper uncoated ones and some "Purple Hornies" mufflers and you're done. Of course Advance Adapters also has some for a bit more money. If you're going to run your exhaust out the back, I'm not aware of a "kit" per se. You did mention you are planning block hugger headers. Any local muffler/exhaust repair shop should be able to put some pipes/mufflers together pretty easy once you have the headers in place. If you can weld, do it yourself pretty easy. You can check here for more info:

Exhaust thread

I am starting on my exhaust with block huggers. There is going to be a lot of cutting and fitting and welding which I can do. Does anyone out there got any pics of your whole system with the body off. Driver side is going to be a breeze the passenger side not with the starter and transfer case. Thanks this group aa always is a big help

Attachments

• motor and frame.jpg
    motor and frame.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 5
There’s hardly any fuzz using block huggers/shorties on a CJ and 350. It’s better to mock everything up with tub and fenders in place, and especially the starter and steering shaft. Good luck.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks